- Steve Sokolowski

- Archived posts: 4559
- Joined: Aug 27, 2014
Status as of Saturday, July 8, 2017
Good morning! Here's a few ideas for today:
- Chris had problems rebooting one of the servers on Thursday when he installed the Intel 960 Pro solid state disks. It turns out that the GRUB bootloader depends on devices being in a specific order. When he turned the computer off, he was unable to get it to recognize that there was a Debian partition even after he removed the new disks. It took him many hours to resolve the issue, and for that we apologize. Fortunately, the installation of the disks puts us in a great position for permanently eliminating the share delay load issues that were due to the disks being unable to respond in time.
- We archive share data every four weeks. Since we released the latest code on July 4, that means that on August 1, we will be able to move the database to the new fast disks without having to bring over the data we no longer need. However, Chris will be on vacation in Ottawa and Montreal, so we'll wait until the weekend of August 12-13 to perform that move. It will probably result in 3 hours of downtime.
- There were reports last night of a large number of connections to the mining server. My theory is that some sort of Internet connectivity problem caused miners to connect and disconnect repeatedly, leaving half-open connections and causing server overload. We'll investigate if that happens again.
- The next weak link in the performance chain is the share inserter's CPU load. While the database will be able to handle almost any load after the new disks are commissioned, the inserter is now reaching high CPU loads at times, which delay shares. I'll be working on that this weekend.
- SHA-256 mining remains on hold indefinitely. We aren't going to release it until we reach a point where we have so much extra capacity that we can't make any other use of it. Right now, every time we fix another performance problem, more miners join, so there's no reason to complicate the system with SHA-256. After the bubble crashes and we can get a better idea of how the long-term profitability will be, then we can decide whether to hire someone to work full time on performance improvements to get to SHA-256.