A secret of mining: People won't take their money

Read about Prohashing, mining, and coins in general!
Forum rules
Sign up to be notified of new posts to the Prohashing Blog at http://eepurl.com/gx1e0j
JAMH2018

Re: A secret of mining: People won't take their money

Post by JAMH2018 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 am

I've got a few low value and dust balances of coins that I can't find a wallet for or an exchange to deposit to.
Much of the time, it's as these crappy coins have since been delisted... eg Batcoin, removed from cryptopia this week (NOT basic attention token)

I'd be happy to convert them to a dollar balance or another coin that could payout - much like Binance sweep for BNB (maybe a PH token :D) . But I figure - if there are no exchanges trading them, they are most likely dead projects.

I think you have done the right thing securing these funds in cold storage (despite not wanting to act as a bank), you never know when someone could make a valid claim or provide the info to lift payment restrictions.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 am

dnprod wrote:even though you are still holding their money, you should set their visible payout balances to zero for the larger ones.
perhaps some will notice and panic at the apparent loss and contact you.
If balances were set to zero, I think that many people would simply forget that they were ever owed the money.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
CSZiggy wrote:Missing payout addresses

I am owed 14 coins and change across 4 dead/obsolete coins.
Because these coins no longer appear on any exchange, I am unable to supply an address.
If I could find a dead wallet address, I could enter it for those coins and then donate or purge them.

System still needs a parameter where the wallet address could be entered as a Zero (0) and then prompt if you would like to delete the coin/purge it/donate the remainder balance. And set the system for any coin that doesnt have a non-zero wallet address to not be allowed to mine into that coin.
It's not necessary to enter a payout address to delete or forfeit a coin. That issue was resolved. However, it is necessary that all entered addresses are valid, so you'll have to forfeit all the coins you don't want to save.

Let me know if there is still a problem so that it can be investigated if necessary.
Could you run me through the process?? I have AIRCOIN and KITTEHCOINS.
How do I go about forfeiting those balances?
If the first step is to select the coin I want to forfeit from the dropdown....These delisted coins are NOT on the dropdowns.
They show up in the Live Balance page, but no where else on the pool that I can see or access.
There is no wallet listing for these coins, and no way to add the coins to see a wallet to click on forfeit.

If there was a new way implemented to be able to forfeit coins that have become delisted, please kindly share the procedure with us.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:26 am

CSZiggy wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:
CSZiggy wrote:Missing payout addresses

I am owed 14 coins and change across 4 dead/obsolete coins.
Because these coins no longer appear on any exchange, I am unable to supply an address.
If I could find a dead wallet address, I could enter it for those coins and then donate or purge them.

System still needs a parameter where the wallet address could be entered as a Zero (0) and then prompt if you would like to delete the coin/purge it/donate the remainder balance. And set the system for any coin that doesnt have a non-zero wallet address to not be allowed to mine into that coin.
It's not necessary to enter a payout address to delete or forfeit a coin. That issue was resolved. However, it is necessary that all entered addresses are valid, so you'll have to forfeit all the coins you don't want to save.

Let me know if there is still a problem so that it can be investigated if necessary.
Could you run me through the process?? I have AIRCOIN and KITTEHCOINS.
How do I go about forfeiting those balances?
If the first step is to select the coin I want to forfeit from the dropdown....These delisted coins are NOT on the dropdowns.
They show up in the Live Balance page, but no where else on the pool that I can see or access.
There is no wallet listing for these coins, and no way to add the coins to see a wallet to click on forfeit.

If there was a new way implemented to be able to forfeit coins that have become delisted, please kindly share the procedure with us.
Chris resolved this issue last night. Now, coins that have balances are added to the "payout addresses" section of the screen. They can be forfeit like any other coin.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote: Chris resolved this issue last night. Now, coins that have balances are added to the "payout addresses" section of the screen. They can be forfeit like any other coin.
Logged out, logged back in.
Used a different browser.
Restarted my PC.

Still the delisted coins I have balances for, do NOT show up anyplace other than EARNINGS page.
Did Chris set this up for coins going forward only? what about previous coins, delisted coins? Negative balance coins?
I have 1 coin that I have earned (-.0000000001) coins for. I guess somehow was overpaid and now I owe 1/millionth of a coin that is delisted and no longer mined or even existing. Maybe that one gets to stick around, not sure how it would ever get paid off on a coin that no longer exists, but the other positive balanced coins that don't exist, those balances could all dissapear.

Not listed at all on SETTINGS page under PAYOUT ADDRESS section or anyplace else on that page.

Still have coins I would like to forfeit, guessing some others do also.
Still need a way to be able to forfeit a coin from the EARNINGS page.
Each coin listed on EARNINGS should have a forfeit button that links back to its coin for that balance so it can be deleted after 2X verification just like on the settings page when you forfeit. You have to confirm so you don't do it on accident.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 pm

CSZiggy wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote: Chris resolved this issue last night. Now, coins that have balances are added to the "payout addresses" section of the screen. They can be forfeit like any other coin.
Logged out, logged back in.
Used a different browser.
Restarted my PC.

Still the delisted coins I have balances for, do NOT show up anyplace other than EARNINGS page.
Did Chris set this up for coins going forward only? what about previous coins, delisted coins? Negative balance coins?
I have 1 coin that I have earned (-.0000000001) coins for. I guess somehow was overpaid and now I owe 1/millionth of a coin that is delisted and no longer mined or even existing. Maybe that one gets to stick around, not sure how it would ever get paid off on a coin that no longer exists, but the other positive balanced coins that don't exist, those balances could all dissapear.

Not listed at all on SETTINGS page under PAYOUT ADDRESS section or anyplace else on that page.

Still have coins I would like to forfeit, guessing some others do also.
Still need a way to be able to forfeit a coin from the EARNINGS page.
Each coin listed on EARNINGS should have a forfeit button that links back to its coin for that balance so it can be deleted after 2X verification just like on the settings page when you forfeit. You have to confirm so you don't do it on accident.
From what you've said, this sounds like a very complex issue that's going to require significant investigation. Since it's specific to your account or to only a few accounts, let's continue this issue in a support ticket, where we can share screenshots and discuss private information about your account.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 am

Seems to be other issues on the SETTINGS page.

This morning I logged in to find coins I had forfeited 6-months ago have re-appeared on the page, all with 0 balances and a forfeit button.
Delisted coins still not on the list to clear.

Forfeiting all the 0 balance coins again, back down to my 3 coins with addresses...No SAVE button to click to save the forfeits, and reload they all pop back in.
Slurms

Post by Slurms » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Can you not add a "If coins are not claimed within 12 months, they are forfeit" clause to your TOS?

I remember receiving an email from some place I mined right when BTC started WAY WAY back when. It was a non-dust amount, but still not more than say $20-$30 worth. I received that email after several YEARS of not taking payment, and it stated if you do not submit a new address within 30 days, they are confiscated. Which I thought was fair.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:28 pm

CSZiggy wrote:Seems to be other issues on the SETTINGS page.

This morning I logged in to find coins I had forfeited 6-months ago have re-appeared on the page, all with 0 balances and a forfeit button.
Delisted coins still not on the list to clear.

Forfeiting all the 0 balance coins again, back down to my 3 coins with addresses...No SAVE button to click to save the forfeits, and reload they all pop back in.
We're trying to resolve this issue now.
dnprod

Post by dnprod » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 pm

in the past i noticed when i forfeited small coin balances it also blew away the wallet address i had on file for that coin.
you may want to hang onto wallet addresses once you get them....