RandomX vs Ghostrider

A forum to discuss mining algorithms, the best coins to mine with each, the algorithms that work the best with specific rigs, etc.
Forum rules
The Mining Algorithms forum is a place to discuss topics dealing with mining algorithms, the best coins to mine with each, the algorithms that work best with specific rigs, etc.

(For connectivity questions related to PROHASHING, please see Mining Rig and Connectivity Support.)

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steveaux

RandomX vs Ghostrider

Post by Steveaux » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:56 pm

Anyone have any experience with Ghostrider and how it compares to RandomX? I tried Ghostrider but my hashrate dropped by over 75% and the coin payoff fell with it. Thanks in advance for any comments!
bMeister1

Re: RandomX vs Ghostrider

Post by bMeister1 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:42 pm

GhostRider is what you could call a more "difficult" algorithm, meaning that it takes more processing cycles to produce one hash when compared to another algorithm like RandomX. It also cycles through several sub-algorithm variants which cause the local hashrate to vary quite a bit and thus an average is the only metric really worth looking at. For example, my stock Ryzen 7 3700X can comfortably do 8.5 kH/s on RandomX and average about 2.1 kH/s on GhostRider. Because the algorithms work so differently, it isn't accurate to say your hashrate "fell" by 75% since your CPU is still working just as hard. It's just taking longer to produce hashes. However, because this is true for everyone, it also means the value of 1 Kh/s of GhostRider is far more valuable than 1 kH/s of RandomX. That's why if you look at the Status page, RandomX is (as of this post) sitting at an average value of 2.38c per kH/s whereas GhostRider is valued at 11.94c per kH/s. This means for me that GhostRider actually beats out RandomX by about 5c per day. Now obviously various factors like network hashrate and coin price will change those numbers but so far GhostRider has been the CPU algorithm to use if you've got the CPU power to back it up. I will say that lower power CPUs still do better with RandomX because of how the difficulty scales, especially if you have older AMD FX series processors whose IPS was categorically lied about and can't do as much as their Intel contemporaries with the same clock speed.
Steveaux

Post by Steveaux » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:11 pm

Thanks for the helpful reply! I think i'll will switch back to ghostrider and let it run for longer to see how it compares.
bMeister1

Post by bMeister1 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:23 pm

No problem! If you're not already, definitely apply for the Trusted Miner Program too. You get extra mining rewards for having properly configured/well behaving miners and right now GhostRider is set at 10.8% which is insanely high. As in, 6.81% greater than the fee taken for FPPS mining insane.