Advice on Fan settings for Temp control

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
BitterCondition

Advice on Fan settings for Temp control

Post by BitterCondition » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Would these Highlighted readings be normal or should I manually set fan speed higher to lower temp

Chain# ASIC# Frequency MH/S(RT) HW Temp(PCB) Temp(Chip) ASIC status
I:0 O:49 Temp PCB
I:0 O:57 Temp Chip

oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo
I:0 O:47 Temp PCB
I:0 O:52 Temp Chip

oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo
I:0 O:46 Temp PCB
I:0 O:51 Temp Chip

I:0 O:45 Temp PCB
I:0 O:51 Temp Chip

vinylwasp

Re: Advice on Fan settings for Temp control

Post by vinylwasp » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 pm

If noise isn't an issue I'd run them as cool as you can.
BitterCondition

Post by BitterCondition » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Ty info.... I set the custom percentage on the miner to 72%.....it got a heck of a lot louder but overall lowered the temp settings on the PCD's and Chips by 4 degrees on each one...should I go higher than 72% and will it burn out the fans running that hard?

Edit forgot to mention that this raised the fan 1 r/min to 4100 almost a 25% increase and fan 2 r/min to 3276 almost a 33% increase from straight out of the box, setup auto-config and run.......
Splinter

Post by Splinter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 pm

What miner is that? For L3+ if temps are below 78°C/172°F its fine... in fact below 80°C its ok
BitterCondition

Post by BitterCondition » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Splinter wrote:What miner is that? For L3+ if temps are below 78°C/172°F its fine... in fact below 80°C its ok
It is an L3+.... I only have one.........

so it would be alright then to reset back to factory default which was blank .... there is a checkbox for automatic shutdown at 80 degrees which is factory checked default.......
vinylwasp

Post by vinylwasp » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Given the history of hashcard failures across S7, S9, R1 and L3 Bitmain miners, I wouldn't be relying on that thermal protection failsafe myself.
You have to remember that's there's likely to be a single temp sensor per card, leaving lots of room for a localized heat spike above 80°C which damages the card. I'd be trying to stay under 65°C myself.
BitterCondition

Post by BitterCondition » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:57 pm

vinylwasp wrote:Given the history of hashcard failures across S7, S9, R1 and L3 Bitmain miners, I wouldn't be relying on that thermal protection failsafe myself.
You have to remember that's there's likely to be a single temp sensor per card, leaving lots of room for a localized heat spike above 80°C which damages the card. I'd be trying to stay under 65°C myself.

Ty very much for info... I kept the fan speed custom set to 72%....it is loud but manageable ... the highest temp recorded on the chips is 54 degrees much lower than the 62 is was hitting continously on board 1.... also all PCB board temps are mid 40's now... I may increase the temp setting a few more degrees given your last post... TY very much ..your info very much appreciated......