Status as of Friday, June 30, 2017

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
mrgoldy

Re: Status as of Friday, June 30, 2017

Post by mrgoldy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:47 am

copy of discussion from the slack chat:
we would be fine until the attacker changed the flood type
then it would take time for javapipe to find where the attack is taking place.
flood type changes, javapipe finds new solution, is that new solution then permanent and that flood type could never happen again?

If the answer is that as javapipe grows/defends, that they become more reliable with less down time. I would say stay with javapipe
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am

piet wrote:"we" already pay 4% more compared to other pools... for this 4% you can`t offer a decent uptime / service / ddos protection ?

Lets do some math;
40.000 earning per day, 5% of this is 2.000 per day = 60k monthly, this isnt enough for some decent uptime !?

I switched to another pool and i`m quite happy with it, earnings are (only) slightly lower but constant! and no payout problems, coin problems, router problems, holiday errors, weather problems, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...
Unfortunately, the big picture isn't as rosy as that.

Of all revenue, about 0.5% is lost in exchange trading fees, 0.25% in withdrawal fees, 0.25% in network transaction fees, 1% in slippage, 0.5% in servers, bandwidth, and electricity usage of the servers, a small amount (currently) in DDoS attack protection, and 0.4% in salaries for freelancers, including the customer service representative budgeted for hire.

Thus, about 2% actually remains for profit. Of that, 35-39.6% goes to the IRS, 3% to state taxes, 1.45% to local taxes, and 6% to sales taxes, for a total of about 50% in taxation. That means that remaining actual profit is 1% of revenue.

To make things worse, when scrypt profitability falls back below 1 cent when the bubble ends, we should expect pool profit to be cut by at least 75%. The pool was making about 1/4 of what it does now before the bubble.

When you look at this analysis, you can see why Chris is trying to negotiate a monthly rate with Comcast for unlimited attack protection. Even if there were $60k in profit per month, half of that would be taken up by $1095/day attack protection.
Last edited by Steve Sokolowski on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaybizz

Post by jaybizz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:45 am

Unless you can get some kind of monthly rate for protection, I'd say Comcast is a no go. Yes, the downtime can be frustrating, but so long as javapipe is able to keep adapting relatively quickly, I think that is the overall better way to go. $1100 per attack is a lot of money to be throwing down the drain. At the end of the day, though, you guys need to make the best decision for your business. Unfortunately there really isn't enough data to figure out how often this will happen in the future, and how well Javapipe will respond each time. But, either way you're going to have people dissatisfied, and some will end up leaving at some point. It sucks, but that's the world we live in unfortunately.
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Mrrt wrote:I would be less interested in additional DDoS mitigation solutions at this point as I would be in having more information about my network traffic.

DDoS attacks are commonly used as smokescreens to divert attention while real info-gathering/hacks are taking place, so I'd be more interested in seeing what other abnormal traffic may be headed to the servers to either identify or rule out more serious potential security threats.
While this sounds intriguing, if there were other traffic going to the servers, they were unsuccessful in exploiting them. There was so much attack traffic that Chris couldn't even log in, so I doubt attackers would have been able to do any damage considering that Chris couldn't even get characters from an SSH terminal to display.
derat

Post by derat » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Personally I think you should give Javapipe a fair chance. Profitability is not a problem for me.
FRISKIE

Post by FRISKIE » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Downtime = Lost Money for Everyone

Add it all UP - for days!

I Vote Comcast - Stable System
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:39 pm

It turns out that it only costs $2900 to have "unlimited DDoS protection" - far less than the $33,000 implied by paying every day of the month.

Therefore, I don't think a poll is required.
nameisis

Post by nameisis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:49 pm

On other hand 7% fees will make pool highly unporfitable on days when minning is done mostlly on one coin.

Eitherway did these attacks come from BCC miners thats what i would think.
nameisis

Post by nameisis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:It turns out that it only costs $2900 to have "unlimited DDoS protection" - far less than the $33,000 implied by paying every day of the month.

Therefore, I don't think a poll is required.
3k$ should be doable