May 16, 2017 Mining server status

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

May 16, 2017 Mining server status

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Tue May 16, 2017 2:50 pm

This morning, our database reached 95% disk usage, primarily consumed by storing old shares. A few weeks ago, we implemented an optimization to reduce the accumulation of new share data and archived some old data. However Postgres’ is designed so that even when you delete data, the disk space consumed by a table is not reclaimed and cannot be reallocated to other tables until we run a full vacuum. I have been putting off this full vacuum since I knew that it would result in delayed shares, but last night, we were finally forced to perform that operation.

At 2:50 AM, I began the full vacuum, and it completed successfully four hours later. The mining server was online the entire time and was accepting shares and finding blocks. However, due to a previously unknown bug caused by the share tables being locked for so long, those shares were not recorded them into the database. Therefore, I have to correct balances. I will be extrapolating the previous hours to get the current earnings. The balance corrections will be applied after the mining server is restarted to resume recording new shares.

I apologize for the issue. As a growing business, we continuously are in a battle to optimize our system to handle ever increasing server load, and as a result, we occasionally have to perform operations we have never done before, like this full vacuum of shares. Now that we know exactly how this operation affects our system, I can assure you that it will not cause issues again.

As always, I will be around to answer any questions you may have. Thank you again for your patronage.
Last edited by Chris Sokolowski on Tue May 16, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: May 16, 2017 Mining server status

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue May 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Chris Sokolowski wrote:This morning, our database reached 95% disk usage, primarily consumed by storing old shares. A few weeks ago, we implemented an optimization to reduce the accumulation of new share data and archived some old data. However Postgres’ is designed so that even when you delete data, the disk space consumed by a table is not reclaimed and cannot be reallocated to other tables until we run a full vacuum. I have been putting off this full vacuum since I knew that it would result in delayed shares, but last night, we were finally forced to perform that operation.

At 2:50 AM, I began the full vacuum, and it completed successfully four hours later. The mining server was online the entire time and was accepting shares and finding lost blocks. However, due to a previously unknown bug caused by the share tables being locked for so long, those shares were not recorded them into the database. Therefore, I have to correct balances. I will be extrapolating the previous hours to get the current earnings. The balance corrections will be applied after the mining server is restarted to resume recording new shares.

I apologize for the issue. As a growing business, we continuously are in a battle to optimize our system to handle ever increasing server load, and as a result, we occasionally have to perform operations we have never done before, like this full vacuum of shares. Now that we know exactly how this operation affects our system, I can assure you that it will not cause issues again.

As always, I will be around to answer any questions you may have. Thank you again for your patronage.
Chris said that the server was finding "lost blocks," but that should read "blocks." The blocks were valid and no money was lost.
Eyedol-X

Post by Eyedol-X » Tue May 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks for this update, any chance you can program in Ripple XRP support when things come back online? Pretty please? lol
JKDReaper

Post by JKDReaper » Tue May 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Is it just a website issue for balances mined during the day today not showing? Mine haven't updated since the 2:50 issue
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 pm

JKDReaper wrote:Is it just a website issue for balances mined during the day today not showing? Mine haven't updated since the 2:50 issue
Chris fixed these balances just now.
Eyedol-X

Post by Eyedol-X » Tue May 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Maybe I'm crazy but it feels like mine are way off (balances)
ecks0r

Post by ecks0r » Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 pm

Eyedol-X wrote:Maybe I'm crazy but it feels like mine are way off (balances)
No, you're not the only one.. steady decline the last several days, and today is like cut in half for me.
JKDReaper

Post by JKDReaper » Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
JKDReaper wrote:Is it just a website issue for balances mined during the day today not showing? Mine haven't updated since the 2:50 issue
Chris fixed these balances just now.
900MHZ x11 for 3 hours and 450MHZ x11 for 5 hours during day aren't showing in my balances. No change at all from yesterday.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 pm

What I'm going to do is to do a comparison at midnight. If your total earnings today was less than your total earnings yesterday, I will credit your account for the difference. Anyone who only started mining today, please contact me by private message and I will help on a case by case basis.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 am

ecks0r wrote:
Eyedol-X wrote:Maybe I'm crazy but it feels like mine are way off (balances)
No, you're not the only one.. steady decline the last several days, and today is like cut in half for me.
Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with us. The difficulty of litecoin has been increasing while its price has simultaneously dropped, resulting in lower profits for everyone.