Cryptomining expert?

Come here to chat about mining topics not covered under Mining Pools, Mining Rigs, or Mining Algorithms.
Forum rules
The General Mining Topics forum is a place to discuss topics dealing with mining that don't fall into the categories of our other Mining Forums.

(For connectivity questions related to PROHASHING, please see Mining Rig and Connectivity Support.)

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Sarah Manter

Cryptomining expert?

Post by Sarah Manter » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:00 pm

Hey all! While by no means an expert yet, I definitely feel more comfortable talking about GPU mining than ASIC's and have more experience with FPPS mining than with PPLNS topics. What part of cryptomining do you feel like the biggest expert on?
UbjfP2ZOJa

Re: Cryptomining expert?

Post by UbjfP2ZOJa » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:43 pm

Apparently, I'm most expert in getting my GPU set up, miner software tweaked, and system functional... just in time for it to make less money than the electricity cost to run it! * sigh *

I'm also pretty good at buying crypto high and watching its value drop, continuously buying the dip that doesn't stop dipping, etc...

:lol:
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:12 pm

UbjfP2ZOJa wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:43 pm Apparently, I'm most expert in getting my GPU set up, miner software tweaked, and system functional... just in time for it to make less money than the electricity cost to run it! * sigh *

I'm also pretty good at buying crypto high and watching its value drop, continuously buying the dip that doesn't stop dipping, etc...

:lol:
:lol: Riding the crypto roller coaster.
abhirabballa

Post by abhirabballa » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:15 am

If you go the asic route, you can only mine 1 specific cryptocurrency, unless another uses the same algorithm. If that currency does a hardfork, you can only mine the one with the same Algorithm as the original.

Edit - so if you decide to be a miner and pick a crypto that is profitable today, with an asic, you are shit outa luck of it becomes unprofitable. With a gpu you can switch to another crypto. No one is wasting time trying to make an asic for ethereum since they keep saying that they will switch to a Proof of Stake algorithm soon which would make mining, in the traditional sense, not an option.
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:43 am

abhirabballa wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:15 am If you go the asic route, you can only mine 1 specific cryptocurrency, unless another uses the same algorithm. If that currency does a hardfork, you can only mine the one with the same Algorithm as the original.

Edit - so if you decide to be a miner and pick a crypto that is profitable today, with an asic, you are shit outa luck of it becomes unprofitable. With a gpu you can switch to another crypto. No one is wasting time trying to make an asic for ethereum since they keep saying that they will switch to a Proof of Stake algorithm soon which would make mining, in the traditional sense, not an option.
Ethereum has already been made Proof of Stake. It switched over a couple weeks ago. However, we now have ETHW available to mine on Ethash.
Maxxx1766

Post by Maxxx1766 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:05 pm

I read a lot of different information about it, but I do not understand anything. There's just not much written about it on the Internet and it's hard to figure it out.