Reminder: Google Authenticator not supported

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Aura89

Re: Reminder: Google Authenticator not supported

Post by Aura89 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Mrrt wrote:
GregoryGHarding wrote:
Mrrt wrote:
Do you live under a rock, Greg?
This precise insecurity has wrought havoc all year.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/18/ss7-c ... ulnerable/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... _a_hacker/
do you even know what youre talking about? authy does not send any SMS based 2FA keys.
I used to use Authy and at that time you could recover all of your 2FA keys to a device by receiving SMS confirmation.
Haven't used it since I realized that (having gone through the process) and I will certainly never use their service again.

Do YOU know what YOU'RE talking about?
So basically what you're saying is you're complaining that there is too MUCH security and you don't want to deal with it, because it's too secure.

Gotcha.
Mrrt

Post by Mrrt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 am

Aura89 wrote:
Mrrt wrote:
GregoryGHarding wrote: do you even know what youre talking about? authy does not send any SMS based 2FA keys.
I used to use Authy and at that time you could recover all of your 2FA keys to a device by receiving SMS confirmation.
Haven't used it since I realized that (having gone through the process) and I will certainly never use their service again.

So basically what you're saying is you're complaining that there is too MUCH security and you don't want to deal with it, because it's too secure.

Gotcha.
Have fun with that "security" when someone hijacks your sim card with a simple SE call to your cell provider and takes all your stuff ;)
Mrrt

Post by Mrrt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 am

GregoryGHarding wrote:
Mrrt wrote:
GregoryGHarding wrote: do you even know what youre talking about? authy does not send any SMS based 2FA keys.

as i said.. you cannot do ANYTHING with sms confirmation without another master password thats linked to your account
If your passwords are weak enough that you need 2FA in the first place... Good luck with that.
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Mrrt wrote:
Aura89 wrote:
Mrrt wrote:

Gotcha.
Have fun with that "security" when someone hijacks your sim card with a simple SE call to your cell provider and takes all your stuff ;)
i guess you guys in the states dont verify your callers? no changes can be made until identity is confirmed.
anettemandell

Post by anettemandell » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 am

I'm new here, but I wanted to chime in on this topic. I can understand the frustration of losing access to your account due to a lost two-factor authentication code. It's always best to take the necessary steps to prevent that from happening, like using a secure backup feature or a trusted authentication app like Authy.
I also wanted to mention another option for secure two-factor authentication: the Smart Engines OCR SDK. This is a powerful software development kit that can be used to recognize and extract data from various ID documents, like passports and driver's licenses. It can also be used for two-factor authentication by scanning and verifying QR codes or other types of codes.
Last edited by anettemandell on Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 am

anettemandell wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:18 am I'm new here, but I wanted to chime in on this topic. I can understand the frustration of losing access to your account due to a lost two-factor authentication code.
This is why we recommend an authenticator like Authy rather than Google because it allows you to back up your codes in case of loss, damage, theft, etc.