Temporary orphan rate adjustment to Bitcoin SV

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Temporary orphan rate adjustment to Bitcoin SV

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Tomorrow, I'm going to make a post about some of the results of the audit we recently conducted. One of the findings was that Bitcoin SV is more than six blocks behind expected value over the past 40 days. Issues with missing blocks on the Bitcon SV network have been a recurring problem, and it seems like the problem has returned.

We temporarily adjusted the orphan rate of Bitcon SV to 37% to account for this missing money until we can determine why it seems that luck is so poor for the coin. Dynamic miners will likely only notice a difference of 0.5% or so as most mining shifts to Bitcoin Cash instead, but people who are statically mining Bitcoin SV may want to switch coins until we have determined the cause of the issue.

I'll write a full report on the results of what we found, and the actions that we took, tomorrow.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Temporary orphan rate adjustment to Bitcoin SV

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:57 am

After some investigation, I determined that it appears that our calculation of difficulty may be incorrect, which can be fixed with a mining server release. We hope to get this issue resolved today and a new release issued, after which time we'll restore the orphan rate to normal.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Temporary orphan rate adjustment to Bitcoin SV

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:16 am

I wanted to provide an update on this issue.

Last night, we returned the orphan rates for all coins to normal. We determined that the pool is mining the expected number of blocks, but that customers are being overpaid. We believe that the difficulty of the recorded shares is incorrect, but have not yet been able to determine why. Chris is going to spend the day writing queries to figure that out.

Because we know that the system isn't failing to submit blocks, until we figure out what's wrong, we'll simply adjust earnings downward by the overpayment amount, which is currently about 9%. Since we yesterday earned about 18% more than bitcoin, however, that still means that our payouts will average around 9% above bitcoin until the issue is resolved (and may go higher again after that). We know that this amount is accurate because it is in line with the June 13 analysis that found that we are about 9% more profitable than Antpool.

The reason why we need to identify exactly what is causing the problem is because until we do, we can't be assured that it is affecting everyone equally. It may be slightly unfair if it affects a certain class of miners 2% more often than others, because of characteristics of their mining rigs.

I'll keep everyone informed as we find out more information. We expect this issue to require significant investigation, so we don't have an ETA on figuring out exactly what caused the problem.