Profitability comparison with Nicehash

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Profitability comparison with Nicehash

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Today, I ran a comparison with Nicehash to determine which pool is most profitable. I used the exact same setup as I did with yesterday's Antpool test - one S7 miner using default settings at both Nicehash and Prohashing. The tests were conducted this morning.

At Nicehash, the miner earned at a rate of 0.00011943 bitcoins per day, while at Prohashing the miner earned at a rate of 0.00012161 bitcoins per day. Prohashing's profitability was 101.84% of Nicehash's in this test.
S3KshuN8

Re: Profitability comparison with Nicehash

Post by S3KshuN8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 pm

While that is a noticeable difference, they're essentially the same when rounded to 2 decimal places of precision.

I think the repeated complaints about profitability are not so much about other pools being better, but rather the general reduction in profits all across the board. Not everyone understands that when difficulty skyrockets due to market saturation of ASICs, profits will drop. Not everyone understands the fact that when a major coin like LTC halves, so do profits.
dooda2

Post by dooda2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 am

I have Scrypt and Equihash machines. Yes, the PH Scrypt earnings are a little better at the moment and am mining here with them. I earn around 20% more on NH with my Equihash machines though. Before I was pooling my coins in one wallet, now they are split. My issue is that even if I make the the same here, when PH goes down, or the coins go into error or any reason for a loss, those profits get wiped out and I lose money on spent electricity.

*Not on subject*
Try and get this pool to be truly "set-and-forget" like NH.
Again, I would like to see a "Profitability" and "24hr projected payout" feature for my machines in my back end (NB)
I personally like the Discord platform, its full of info, but I understand blogs help with ranking and content.

Like the new look and vibe.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am

dooda2 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:03 am I have Scrypt and Equihash machines. Yes, the PH Scrypt earnings are a little better at the moment and am mining here with them. I earn around 20% more on NH with my Equihash machines though. Before I was pooling my coins in one wallet, now they are split. My issue is that even if I make the the same here, when PH goes down, or the coins go into error or any reason for a loss, those profits get wiped out and I lose money on spent electricity.

*Not on subject*
Try and get this pool to be truly "set-and-forget" like NH.
Again, I would like to see a "Profitability" and "24hr projected payout" feature for my machines in my back end (NB)
I personally like the Discord platform, its full of info, but I understand blogs help with ranking and content.

Like the new look and vibe.
A few questions:
  • When has the system gone down? We're only aware of two instances since August 1 when there has been a mining server restart to release new features, and in both cases the downtime lasted less than two minutes. Given how "uptime" is a big votegetter in the latest poll, I want to find out if there is something that isn't being detected by our monitoring system.
  • It was the case before three days ago that equihash profitability was affected by orphaned ZCash blocks. The blocks were caused by high CPU usage that occurred when we needed to unshield ZCash balances. Are the profitability numbers for equihash from before or after the last three days?
  • Which coins are going into error that cause losses?
djliss

Post by djliss » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am
[*] Which coins are going into error that cause losses?
[/list]
eqihash-144_5 as there is no profit switching, very hard to set failover pools on gpu rigs
jde

Post by jde » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:22 pm

A few questions:
  • When has the system gone down? We're only aware of two instances since August 1 when there has been a mining server restart to release new features, and in both cases the downtime lasted less than two minutes. Given how "uptime" is a big votegetter in the latest poll, I want to find out if there is something that isn't being detected by our monitoring system.
  • It was the case before three days ago that equihash profitability was affected by orphaned ZCash blocks. The blocks were caused by high CPU usage that occurred when we needed to unshield ZCash balances. Are the profitability numbers for equihash from before or after the last three days?
You should not penalize miners for orphans if they are using PPS. Prohashing is the only pool that does this from what I've seen.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 pm

jde wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:22 pm
A few questions:
You should not penalize miners for orphans if they are using PPS. Prohashing is the only pool that does this from what I've seen.
Unfortunately, the orphan rate on most coins is very high. For Digibytes, it's usually around 4% or 6%, because the blocks come so fast when it becomes profitable to mine them. If we didn't consider orphan rates, then we would not mine the correct coins and end up with a net loss.

The other thing I noticed with the profitability statistics is that people tend to leave the pool despite profitability not having changed. For example, yesterday's profitability was the same as that of the day before, and we proved the system was more profitable than Nicehash that day, but there was less hashrate yesterday. Maybe the cause was an unseen error with disconnects, which is why I want to find out the answer to these questions.