Charity mining going out today

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Charity mining going out today

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:14 am

Charity mining is going to be released today, at around 2 or 3pm EDT. All services except mining and the forums will be offline for up to 30 minutes while they are deployed and verified. Mining will be unaffected, but you won't be able to log in or subscribe to live data until the upgrade is complete.
CSZiggy

Re: Charity mining going out today

Post by CSZiggy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:42 am

I'm still surprised this was actually a requested feature by enough people to utilize the pool's limited resources to put in.
Every time I've read about charity mining and thought about the 5% fees here, I've thought to myself--aren't I already charity mining for the owners?

Could you put a running total for the week or the month/year on how much has been donated in total, either to the workers of the company or some other charity event. I'm sure all the users of the pool would like to see justification that the new feature for charity is being used and was worthwhile to put in over something more meaningful that would have boosted profits or added more coins or exchanges.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 pm

CSZiggy wrote:I'm still surprised this was actually a requested feature by enough people to utilize the pool's limited resources to put in.
Every time I've read about charity mining and thought about the 5% fees here, I've thought to myself--aren't I already charity mining for the owners?

Could you put a running total for the week or the month/year on how much has been donated in total, either to the workers of the company or some other charity event. I'm sure all the users of the pool would like to see justification that the new feature for charity is being used and was worthwhile to put in over something more meaningful that would have boosted profits or added more coins or exchanges.
I don't anticipate this feature being used by many customers. In fact, a poll showed that only 1% of income is expected to go to charity.

That said, there are a number of reasons why the feature was implemented. First, I personally don't care if this particular feature was profitable, because if we can redirect funds from miners' pockets into curing diseases, that's worth any amount of money. Second, the feature allows people to tip employees, which is important from a management perspective to improve productivity, so in some ways the future productivity gains may outweigh the cost of the feature.

Third, even though only 1% of existing miners said they would make donations, it's unlikely that a random sample would be willing to donate a lot of money. But there are people out there who do want to donate to charity who will join the pool just for that purpose because no other pool offers the feature, who would never have joined otherwise. That will probably double or triple the contribution totals.

Fourth, the work performed on charity mining isn't transferable to other features. There are people working on other algorithms, for example, but that's extremely specialized work that requires 3 months of training. It isn't possible to simply switch out charity mining for another feature because different people are needed, and as most people know, the economy has a severe labor shortage right now.

But most importantly, even if people follow the poll exactly, 1% of $30m is about $300,000. That's a lot of charitable contributions.
holygoof

Post by holygoof » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Good responses Steve, like CS, I wondered why the push for this sooner than say cryptoknight or more exchanges.
On a related note about charity mining, I personally think that maybe Charities should move towards Crypto, that way, the money
could actually make it those in need, especially in poorer regions of the world. I was in Jamaica last year, and floored by the poverty there, and although I can applaud and appreciate charities, human labor is expensive and subject to bias, along without countless things you can not predict or control, and I think they could really help some folks who would just put money to good use in their economy. Still waiting on that red cross coin hah, aint gonna happen tho, because they only need to legally donate away less than 25% of what they take in and Cryptos would cut out those lovely management margins
Goof
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Add in a way for me to forfeit all the coin balance totals I have from misc coins or dead coins I cant transfer anymore, WITHOUT NEEDING TO ENTER A WALLET ADDRESS FOR THE COINS FOR FORFEIT TO POP UP, and I'd be happy to tip all of those dead coins to the workers and charities.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am

This release has been issued. The share recorders were verified. The website has an error with displaying balances for about 100 active customers, which Chris is working on now. Payouts will be verified tomorrow morning. Today, I'm going to investigate some charities and add them; you can already tip Vance or Constance.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Guessing they were added to the code but not turned on yet for the display. I am not seeing the place for tips or charity

Where will the charity portion of the web page be at? Under which page/subtopic? Earnings or settings?

Where is the place at where we can tip vance at now?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 pm

CSZiggy wrote:Guessing they were added to the code but not turned on yet for the display. I am not seeing the place for tips or charity

Where will the charity portion of the web page be at? Under which page/subtopic? Earnings or settings?

It's not available yet. Chris is still working on releasing the payout changes, and he hasn't had time to do the data entry to configure the new options for tips.

In regards to the charities, none of them has replied to our E-Mails about accepting donations. Whichever charity replies first will probably get a lot of donations, so this is sort of like Coinbase - all they have to do is reply to get our business.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 am

CSZiggy wrote:Guessing they were added to the code but not turned on yet for the display. I am not seeing the place for tips or charity

OK, the tips are now available, so you can add them now. Users who were already tipping Chris have now been reassigned to either Vance or Constance, at random.

Charities are not yet available because we're waiting for replies to our E-Mails, and will get further updates out on that soon.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Where is this TIPPING section at?

Where can we find it?

I am not seeing anything in either settings or earning pages, for a dropbox or anything I could assign or click to tip.