Generate bitcoin wallet seed from fingerprint?

Shorter thoughts and general discussion of cryptocurrency related topics
Forum rules
The Cryptocurrency Discussion forum is complementary to Bitcoin Thoughts and is a a place to discuss shorter thoughts about bitcoins, altcoins, and cryptocurrencies.

Topics may include bitcoin prices, outlooks on altcoins, cryptocurrency development, economics, and more. Feel free to share outlooks on other things as long as the major focus is on cryptocurrencies. Announcement posts are prohibited in this forum; review the rules in the other Prohashing forums for the best place to post your announcement.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
parishy

Post by parishy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 am

I was wondering is there an app that generates a bitcoin seed from your fingerprint data. Would this be a good way to avoid problems from losing your password?

Edit for clarity... Im not talking about a fingerprint that can be lifted. I mean with a fingerprint reader such as on a mobile phone. I was under the impression these needed a "live" finger to actually read them.
CSZiggy

Re: Generate bitcoin wallet seed from fingerprint?

Post by CSZiggy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:37 am

I'm not sure.
What say you , we cut off your finger and see if your phone still works with it no longer attached??

Put your wallet on a nano device, lose the device, lose the wallet.
Seal it with authentication, lose the phone, lose the wallet.
Seal it with a password, forget the password, lose the wallet.
Seal it with your fingerprint, see how long til someone cuts off a finger to get access to a wallet.

I'd go retina scan. While some people might not think twice about lobbing off a pinky finger, they might not go for the eye gouge just to get the eyeball out for the wallet. Then again....some people will do crazy stuff for $18,000.
spauk

Post by spauk » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:47 pm

i don't know about any fingerprint reader apps, and i don't own anything with a fingerprint reader. there are some hard wallets that are pretty much indestructible, not electronic but they're just like metal card things you can put the privkey/pass on with little number/letter tiles and keep it somewhere safe. another option not really easily available to the public yet is DNA storage, that has been proven to be able to encode a key in synthetic dna. it would be interesting to be able to encrypt and decrypt with real human DNA. but then what would be the margin of error if there were some small genetic mutations. fingerprints generally remain the same unless they get damaged somehow, which would lead to the same problem of getting locked out.
ambar33n

Post by ambar33n » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Then anybody who gets your fingerprint from anything can steal your money.
No thanks