Update on ZCash fixes

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Update on ZCash fixes

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Yesterday, the mining server detected an error with the ZCash network and stopped mining the coin. After some investigation, I determined that there was a hard fork on the network that created a new transaction format. I believe there are three parts to solving this problem: upgrading to the latest version, downloading the latest blocks of the testnet, and implementing support for two new fields in the transactions for ZCash.

We've successfully implemented support and upgraded the daemon, but we can't test the system until we are able to download all the latest blocks for the testnet and the production network. The servers are downloading the blocks now, but at the current rate, we expect about 10 more hours of downloading. Since that will be just before bedtime, this issue is going to require the full day tomorrow, at the least, to resolve it.

At the same time, I also added and certified a new behavior on the mining server. Whenever the anchor coin is in error and no other coins are available to support all connected miners, the mining server will now disconnect the miners who are unable to be supported, so that they can mine at backup pools. This feature will be released at the same time as the ZCash changes are.
jeffms2003

Re: Update on ZCash fixes

Post by jeffms2003 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Very nice - good work here.
jeffms2003

Post by jeffms2003 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:15 am

Looks like Zen Cash is having a similar issue; however, I don't really know that much about whether or not that coin had any updates.
jeffms2003

Post by jeffms2003 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Also, just as an FYI I'm attaching a reddit link that is supposed to be tracking which equihash coins will fork and which won't in response to the ASIC machines being released. Just something to be on the lookout for to help manage the changing mining environment for that algorithm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/zec/comments/8 ... _coin_and/
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:38 pm

I think the ZCash update will be ready by the end of the day today. It's in testing now, and I've been able to get the latest blocks for both networks.
Simon_says

Post by Simon_says » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:55 pm

I see the Zcash coin have been removed from the block explorer, does this means that coin is not available for mining at Prohashing?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:00 am

Simon_says wrote:I see the Zcash coin have been removed from the block explorer, does this means that coin is not available for mining at Prohashing?
Yes. It's not currently available for mining.

It's also not available on the block explorer, but that's because ZCash is an anonymous coin. Most of the transactions on ZCash cannot be tracked, so a block explorer is of limited value on ZCash.
Tomas_Novak

Post by Tomas_Novak » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:30 pm

But on https://miningpoolhub.com/ can be mined with Z9 - ZCL, ZCASH and ZENCASH
S3KshuN8

Post by S3KshuN8 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:04 am

Just curious how close you are to a resolution of this issue. I know elsewhere it's been stated that Zcash wasn't a significant portion of profit, but I don't see how that is possible given that it accounted for roughly 50% of the Equihash hashrate in the 3 days prior to Overwinter being activated. I don't doubt that the Comcast outage today diverted some attention away from this problem and delayed the fix, but hopefully not by much. I hope that your reply is that it's been fixed and Zcash is available again, but if not it would be nice to get an updated ETA on when that should happen. Thanks for all of your hard work!
jeffms2003

Post by jeffms2003 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:13 am

I'd be interested on an update too. Looks like Zencash is back working, but not ZEC or ZCL. Thanks!!