Scrypt-N for Titans

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Ben44

Scrypt-N for Titans

Post by Ben44 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:21 am

Is there any chance to implement Scrypt-N for the KnC Titan in the near future because of the currently very low Scrypt rewards?
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Scrypt-N for Titans

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:24 am

We would love to do this, but unfortunately the market for other algorithms isn't big enough at the moment for us to be able to break even there. The server costs would be greater than our profit.

For right now, we plan to continue developing scrypt as much as possible, such as by adding additional payout coins and better charting options. When we've maxed out our Scrypt opportunities, we'll definitely move on to other algorithms, but it won't be for several months at least.
Ben44

Post by Ben44 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Just thought it would be an opportunity because of the low Scrypt rewards. One Titan could mine Scrypt-N with about 100 MHs.

P.S. Did you get my support mail with my user pool name?
pumaro

Post by pumaro » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:20 am

I used to mine scrypt-n at 150mh per titan but I usually screwed up the difficulty as soon as i started mining it, so it looks good until you start mining it.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks, Ben. We did.

To explain a little more about scrypt-n, we performed some calculations about how much money is coming out of block rewards every day in different algorithms. In SHA-256, it's around $750k, but because there are zero-fee pools, there isn't any money to be made there. In scrypt, the amount is around $50k, and pools can charge higher fees. In all other algorithms, the total of every other coin mined is around $12,500. scrypt-n is some small portion of the $12,500.

Suppose that we were able to take 10% in fees because we produced a multiple algorithm client, and we captured 20% of the other algorithms. That means we would max out at only $325/day after years of growth. We would have to buy 6-8 additional servers just to support that. But with scrypt, if we achieve 5% of 20% hashrate, we earn $500/day, with far fewer costs, and the code is far simpler and has less risk of bugs.

Hopefully this sheds some light on this decision. We do want to get to multiple algorithms eventually, but you can see that the money just isn't there at present.
Ben44

Post by Ben44 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:41 pm

pumaro wrote:I used to mine scrypt-n at 150mh per titan but I usually screwed up the difficulty as soon as i started mining it, so it looks good until you start mining it.
That's because most Scrypt-N pools/coins have about 1 MHs :mrgreen:
Steve Sokolowski wrote: Hopefully this sheds some light on this decision. We do want to get to multiple algorithms eventually, but you can see that the money just isn't there at present.
Thank you for explaining!