Z9 Equihash Asic announced

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Eyedol-X

Z9 Equihash Asic announced

Post by Eyedol-X » Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Coming end of June/Beginning of July.

300W @ 10k Sol/S

I picked up one will others?

https://shop.bitmain.com/product/detail ... cSyiu806FD

Hashing algorithm: Equihash

Power consumption: 300W

Hashrate: 10k Sol/s ± 5%
Darzl

Re: Z9 Equihash Asic announced

Post by Darzl » Fri May 04, 2018 3:01 am

I have had a quick look and its interesting, $2K plus import duty I suppose isn't bad.

$30 a day profit on a calculator I found with current prices and some electricity cost
Eyedol-X

Post by Eyedol-X » Fri May 04, 2018 5:50 am

Darzl wrote:I have had a quick look and its interesting, $2K plus import duty I suppose isn't bad.

$30 a day profit on a calculator I found with current prices and some electricity cost
Yeah, assuming equihash doesn't hard fork away, these will kill GPU mining as 1 of these does almost as much as 4-5 of my smaller rigs
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:08 pm

$30 a day for an algorithm that doesn't have ASICs on it yet is actually really pathetic. This should be in the hundreds to thousands of dollars per day without an ASIC. All this means is that ASICs will be able to flood the market exceptionally fast, so if bitmain is...well, bitmain, the first batch of miners released will pretty well certainly make equihash a less then $10 per day miner.
Eyedol-X

Post by Eyedol-X » Sat May 05, 2018 9:50 am

Aura89 wrote:$30 a day for an algorithm that doesn't have ASICs on it yet is actually really pathetic. This should be in the hundreds to thousands of dollars per day without an ASIC. All this means is that ASICs will be able to flood the market exceptionally fast, so if bitmain is...well, bitmain, the first batch of miners released will pretty well certainly make equihash a less then $10 per day miner.
Yeah but $30 a day is subjective when you look at power costs. If I were to shut down my other GPU rigs on Equihash right now (I'm not) I would save approximately ~5000w of power usage for that same $30

My existing rigs I'm going to diversify with and use for other algos
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Eyedol-X wrote:
Aura89 wrote:$30 a day for an algorithm that doesn't have ASICs on it yet is actually really pathetic. This should be in the hundreds to thousands of dollars per day without an ASIC. All this means is that ASICs will be able to flood the market exceptionally fast, so if bitmain is...well, bitmain, the first batch of miners released will pretty well certainly make equihash a less then $10 per day miner.
Yeah but $30 a day is subjective when you look at power costs. If I were to shut down my other GPU rigs on Equihash right now (I'm not) I would save approximately ~5000w of power usage for that same $30

But it's not going to BE $30 a day, again, it'll likely be $10 and under. Unless bitmain doesn't flood the market, personally, i expect it'll be less then $4

Yes, the power costs are nice, and quite frankly, we need more lower-wattage ASICs.

Remember, Siacoin for example was showing something like thousands of dollars a day on a calculator when the A3 was announced. Yet when all the first batch of ASICs were released, it went down to $30 a day, and now that even more have been released, only 3-4 months later, it's now down to around $10 a day, and still decreasing.

So the fact that:

Siacoin went from thousands of dollars, to 30, to 10, and still lowering

And Equihash is on $30 BEFORE the ASICs have hit....if they flood the market the same way they did the A3, where exactly do you think that daily profit will be? If we did a straight comparison, it'd be in the pennies, if not negatives.
Last edited by Aura89 on Sun May 06, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyedol-X

Post by Eyedol-X » Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 am

Aura89 wrote:
Eyedol-X wrote:

But it's not going to BE $30 a day, again, it'll likely be $10 and under. Unless bitmain doesn't flood the market, personally, i expect it'll be less then $40

Yes, the power costs are nice, and quite frankly, we need more lower-wattage ASICs.

Remember, Siacoin for example was showing something like thousands of dollars a day on a calculator when the A3 was announced. Yet when all the first batch of ASICs were released, it went down to $30 a day, and now that even more have been released, only 3-4 months later, it's now down to around $10 a day, and still decreasing.

So the fact that:

Siacoin went from thousands of dollars, to 30, to 10, and still lowering

And Equihash is on $30 BEFORE the ASICs have hit....if they flood the market the same way they did the A3, where exactly do you think that daily profit will be? If we did a straight comparison, it'd be in the pennies, if not negatives.
definitely agree we more lower wattage asics for decentralization, the problem is everyone wants "more power" which literally requires "more power" when it comes to Asics so they seem to go around thermal or power limitations as of late and is why every Asic ends up around 1000w lately.

I agree that Equihash will likely become unprofitable for GPU's if they don't fork away on the Equihash Algo. I saw an announcement yesterday from BTG saying they are working on a way to "fix" the Asic problem so my guess is they are going to hard fork to invalidate it.

SIA is an example of Bitmain cornering the market, just to corner it, not make it better. In the case of SIA their price has tanked because of Asics IMO but I wouldn't say that Asics can cause that for every algo.
cc4506

Post by cc4506 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:26 am

I got into this before I knew about the whole bitmain/asic politic thing. The issue of course is you just cant GPU mine and have any type of ROI on the current prices of the graphic cards. I would much rather do that. But for 2400.00 I have a giant B coming. Maybe the guys who buy 1000 cards at a time get a good price. For the rest of us..not so much.
Eyedol-X

Post by Eyedol-X » Mon May 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Well it looks like this story is still developing, a few equihash coins say they will fork to invalidate the Z9 but some others have taken the stance or at least appear to have taken the stance that they will not.

As this is still fluid, I wonder how PH would support both potential versions of Equihash or will they support one and then drop the coins that do/don't fork?

I'm not expecting an answer right now, it's simply too soon... but I'm just thinking dialogue wise it might be a good time to start considering the possibility that there could be (2) equihash algos in existence soon.