Better to set up d=?

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
banzsolt1

Better to set up d=?

Post by banzsolt1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 am

I saw a lot of people setting up the difficulty manually. What is the reason for this? Would I actually mine more?

I have 10 L3s that I am wondering if they would perform better if a specify the difficulty manually? What would the diff be for them/how can I determine what is the best?

Thanks!
dog1965

Re: Better to set up d=?

Post by dog1965 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am

wow you run them in your house!!!!!
hashingpro

Post by hashingpro » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 am

Good News Banzsolt1, you are in luck!
See you have more than 1 miner, so you can run an experiment and do a TEST.
A test is where you compare 2 items, typically you leave one alone and that is the CONTROL group.
and then you alter the 2nd group, called experimental group, and you see how the change in setting changes the outcome from the control to the test sample.

You say you have 10 miners, Go make a 2nd Prohashing account!
Log 5 miners into each account, set 5 of them with d=131072 and 5 of them with no d= setting.
At the end of the day, swap the settings across the groups of test miners.
That way, if one set had a very fast or very slow miner and you let each group test the settings each day, when you swap the settings from 1 group to the other, the earning ratios should switch also. If you swap the settings and the earning ratios stay the same, then its not the settings that were making the ratios change, it was the miners. So make sure to validate that data by swapping the values and see if the earnings ration follow the settings and not the miners.

After 2 days, you should know which works better d=131072 or not setting a d=
You may even want to post your results up so others know.
Or since you ran the tests and collected the data, and you had to pay the price in lower earnings on 1 set of your 5 miners, maybe you just keep that data to yourself. That choice is yours. If you find setting a D= value gives a higher return then you can spend a few days testing different values of d= to find the one that gives you the best profits.

Good Luck, Enjoy
and welcome to mining!
banzsolt1

Post by banzsolt1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you hashingpro for the really in dept explanation of what a TEST is. I will take your idea and conduct the experiment.

In the documentation we can find only the following description which does not explain it as well as you did what a test is conducted:

"d: sets a static difficulty for that miner. For example, d=4096 will, after the first share is submitted, reassign the miner permanently to a difficulty of 4096, regardless of the coin being mined or how frequently the miner is submitting shares. Available values are any power of 2 between 512 and 262144, such as 1024, 2048, and so on. If this argument is not provided, then the pool will select a difficulty that results in shares being submitted once per minute. If used in conjunction with the c= argument (static coin), then if the coin's blocks are easier than the static difficulty, the coin's difficulty will be used to compute your earnings, which will cause lower profitability. The inclusion or omission of the static difficulty d argument does not affect profitability for difficult coin networks. If you don't have a specific reason to set a static difficulty or don't know what this value means, then the best choice is not to provide this argument."

Would you be kind enough and explain what the difficulty arguments does?
TraderSP

Post by TraderSP » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:59 am

Test?
fugju

Post by fugju » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:28 am

<30MHs d=2048
<60MHs d=4096
<=100-150 MHs d=8k-16k
>=150-200MHs d=16k-32k
>250MHs 64k

Good working static diff settings for most purposes.
Dont forget to set up an backup pool...