Trying to understand cloud mining rental services

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Trying to understand cloud mining rental services

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:48 am

I want to create a poll about cloud mining rental services, but I'm not quite sure what options to list in the poll.

The question will be: "Why do people rent hashrate from cloud mining services?" Some options I can think of right now are range from ethical ones like "to mine a new coin that isn't listed on any exchanges" all the way to criminal activity like "to steal money by conducting 51% attacks."

For what other reasons might people rent hashrate from these services?
ryguy

Re: Trying to understand cloud mining rental services

Post by ryguy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 am

Steve,

As you've informed me previously, if about 1% of the pool's hashrate comes from cloud rentals asking this in a poll will tell you what people that aren't using the services THINK as to why individuals utilize these services as opposed to why they are actually used.

Forgive me, but this seems like a foolish way to go about getting any valuable information on this topic, unless you have absolutely no way to contact those individuals that are utilizing the services directly.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:38 pm

Unfortunately, this is a recurring issue that comes up with a lot of questions. We can't ask people who aren't customers because they haven't found us yet and given us a way to contact them, so this is the only way we can get ideas.

Perhaps some of the 1% will respond here. If not, taking the average response of a large number of people will result in better answers than our one guess.
ryguy

Post by ryguy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:38 pm Perhaps some of the 1% will respond here. If not, taking the average response of a large number of people will result in better answers than our one guess.
That's more of what I was getting at Steve. Asking this in a poll is going to give you a lot of sentiment, but not actual information because you're posing the question to people that don't know because they don't do it. If you directed it in the forum you could have individuals that do use them, like myself, answer that question with more detail and information than you would get as a poll.

That said I believe I did answer this for myself in a previous forum post when you were discussing the ETH issues. Let me know if you'd like me to repost that or give additional detail.