Status as of Saturday, October 20, 2018

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Status as of Saturday, October 20, 2018

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 am

Good morning! Our focus on stability and reliability continues.
  • Two days ago, bitcoin mining was disabled after a lost block was discovered. It turns out that the cause of the lost block is a serious race condition that affects all coins and, once the release is issued, will significantly improve profitability. In the currently deployed code, when a share is received, the order of operations is to create the potential block's header and store it in a member variable, then allow a different thread to calculate the hash, and then possibly submit the header from the member variable to the coin daemon. However, because the header is stored in a member variable, it could be changed to a non-block if the CPU returns from the threads in a different order than it went into them. That would cause the non-block to be submitted to the daemon and lost, and the valid block would not be submitted.
  • This bug is likely responsible for losses of about $3m in revenue over the history of the pool. When released, the fix will improve profitability by 3-5% across all coins. At the same time as this release, Chris will also add a new column to store debug data for when blocks are lost, which will assist us in the next phase of stability improvements - that of figuring out why some specific coins lose blocks and go into error frequently. The system will go offline later today for a few minutes to execute the release.
  • Next on the list is a memory leak in the mining server. The leak seems to cause one mining server to restart every 6 hours, so miners are disconnected once every two days, on average. I'm wondering whether these restarts are responsible for some of the "I can't connect" tickets we often receive, but this is a hard problem that will take days or weeks to resolve.
  • Some customers are encountering difficulty with saving payout addresses. The cause of the issue is another side effect of stability improvements. We improved the code that governs when payout addresses can be saved to ensure that customers have to enter them immediately upon adding a coin. But some addresses were missing because some customers had mined static coins and had never been paid those coins. Chris ran a query to add those addresses. If you are having difficulty saving, you'll need to enter payout addresses for all coins, or forfeit the coins you don't wish to be paid.
  • There are new features under development, but it will be some time before they're released. Vance is continuing to work on Monero mining, and Constance is starting with allowing miner grouping in the user interface.
CSZiggy

Re: Status as of Saturday, October 20, 2018

Post by CSZiggy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:56 am

Will the 5% increase be immediate or will it require a few days to propagate through the system and take effect?

I'll be happy to stop back over and run another comparison if there is a chance I might get a higher payout than on litecoinpool, but last time I checked LCP was 10% higher, so not sure if 5% can close the gap.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:41 pm

CSZiggy wrote:Will the 5% increase be immediate or will it require a few days to propagate through the system and take effect?

I'll be happy to stop back over and run another comparison if there is a chance I might get a higher payout than on litecoinpool, but last time I checked LCP was 10% higher, so not sure if 5% can close the gap.
Orphan rates will adjust over a period of one month.

As I've said in other posts, I don't think that we will ever be able to match litecoinpool.org's payouts. litecoinpool.org is paying 107% of LTC, while only mining LTC. If anyone could do this, then everyone would be doing it already. They aren't sending out tax paperwork as the law for almost every country requires, they don't have the name of who owns the company anywhere on their site, and the math just doesn't add up.

There will definitely be increased profit here, but if the end profit doesn't match litecoinpool's profit, I've said before that customers will have to make their own decisions about whether they feel comfortable mining there.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 pm

If I'm still running the rigs as heaters for the house in a month i'll check back and see how profits are then.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:18 pm

This release has been issued, and you'll see that there haven't been any lost blocks at all since the deployment.

Stability and reliability improvements continue!
alexis97

Post by alexis97 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:13 pm

- litecoinpol is set to doge, BTM, NYC combined mining,(This is not related to what pools are doing with the transition to profit, since in the combined production all chains are mined simultaneously.)
- there are no switchings to another coin on litecoinpol and time is not wasted on it, very fast switching of coins takes place on the prohash and the miner spends on it up to 10% of his time per day
- there are no commissions on litecoinpol
but nevertheless, any multipul should earn more than just ltc
there is also a pool (PROP) where I earn 10-20% more than even litecoinorg and 30% more than prohash (I will only give out data to prohash owners or administrators)
-
just try to add only LTc on the prohash and you will see that there is no difference, again it will be 10-15%
-
 since i mine and zec then prohash is the best you can find
-
sorry i am not english
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:09 pm

you must be new here. the admins have explained ltcp profit over and over again.