Status as of Thursday, July 19, 2018

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Status as of Thursday, July 19, 2018

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:40 am

Good morning!
  • Please join me in wishing Chris a happy birthday! He turns 30 today. Since he doesn't always read the forums regularly, feel free to submit a support ticket and I'll make sure it's assigned to him.
  • I think I figured out how the covert ASICBOOST miners work. You might recall how, a few days ago, I stated that I was beginning to get down into examining why the mining server was making choices so that we can begin understanding things like why coins went into error and why miners got disconnected sometimes. It turns out that some miners are receiving error messages for submitting ASICBOOST shares without having first used mining.configure, the stratum protocol standard for overt ASICBOOST. The S9s, I think, don't register as ASICBOOST miners and simply submit the ASICBOOST shares. Since I don't have one of these miners, I can't test with it, but I will make a change to stop rejecting these shares as invalid and then hopefully someone can try to enable the "multi-version" command on an S9 to see if it works once we release later today.
  • We are targeting a release of charity mining for July 30. This code, which is a significant change to many system functions, will require some downtime that day. The time of the downtime and duration will be announced next week. Once released, we will be able to easily support a number of new features in the coming weeks. For example, we can offer free ETH payouts through Coinbase, tips to Constance or Vance (instead of just Chris), and other dollar exchanges than Coinbase.
  • We will be entering reduced support mode between July 24 and July 27, when Chris attends his yearly meetup with his Steam friends in Montreal. During periods of reduced support, the most recent of which occurred in April with the connection upgrade, urgent issues that involve money are addressed immediately, while general questions about the pool like how to connect may see a response time of 2 or 3 days.
  • For the first time in perhaps ever, due to the resolution of most mining server bugs, earnings are matching payouts and luck to 99% accuracy. Therefore, we increased payouts by 5% on x11 and 1% on all other algorithms. We estimate that the current capacity limit is now somewhere near 200,000 workers.
Tomas_Novak

Re: Status as of Thursday, July 19, 2018

Post by Tomas_Novak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am

I just do not know how to activate "multi-version"
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 am

Tomas_Novak wrote:I just do not know how to activate "multi-version"
/config/bmminer.conf, "multi-version." 1 is the default, and it works with all pools. I determined that when it is set to a greater number, it uses ASICBOOST. If the number is too low, the number of bits used for ASICBOOST is low and there is little effect, so I will recommend a value of 16.
Tomas_Novak

Post by Tomas_Novak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:28 pm

I know this, but whate can I find it /config/bmminer.con
grinbuck

Post by grinbuck » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Just enabled multi-version on one of my s9's and set it to 16. Seems to be mining fine so far. Doesn't work on any other pool but prohashing though. If this is for real then I'm switching all my miners here once tested and confirmed working!
Tomas_Novak

Post by Tomas_Novak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:13 pm

through api I get to the file but I do not know how to edit the file
Tomas_Novak

Post by Tomas_Novak » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:16 pm

how can I set bmminer.conf ?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:36 pm

grinbuck wrote:Just enabled multi-version on one of my s9's and set it to 16. Seems to be mining fine so far. Doesn't work on any other pool but prohashing though. If this is for real then I'm switching all my miners here once tested and confirmed working!
This feature isn't implemented yet, so it isn't actually doing anything, as far as I know. Has your hashrate increased?
grinbuck

Post by grinbuck » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
grinbuck wrote:Just enabled multi-version on one of my s9's and set it to 16. Seems to be mining fine so far. Doesn't work on any other pool but prohashing though. If this is for real then I'm switching all my miners here once tested and confirmed working!
This feature isn't implemented yet, so it isn't actually doing anything, as far as I know. Has your hashrate increased?
EDIT 2: Sorry for the misinformation Steve. I just ssh'ed into my miner and it seems that my previous changes to bmminer.conf were either not saved or were overwritten because of which multi-version was set back to 1. Setting it to 16 again results in the same behavior as slushpool. Very low hashrate and rejected shares, causing the miner to reboot over and over. Sincere apologies.

EDIT: Poolside it's showing an average hash of 15.377 Th/s - still 13.75 in my miner console. Don't know if that means my hash has increased or whether it's just a momentary thing. Been consistent for the last 10 mins though.

No my hashrate is exactly the same. 13.75 Th/s. Shares are being accepted though. It doesn't work on slushpool - just reboots over and over and shows rejected shares for the little time that it does run. There's something here that's making it work that's for sure. Excited at the possibility of you successfully implementing asicboost. Been waiting a long long time in the hope that the S9 would eventually be able to make use of it.

P.S. Sorry for the late responses. The forum only lets me post once in 30 minutes or something.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:03 pm

grinbuck wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:
EDIT 2: Sorry for the misinformation Steve. I just ssh'ed into my miner and it seems that my previous changes to bmminer.conf were either not saved or were overwritten because of which multi-version was set back to 1. Setting it to 16 again results in the same behavior as slushpool. Very low hashrate and rejected shares, causing the miner to reboot over and over. Sincere apologies.

EDIT: Poolside it's showing an average hash of 15.377 Th/s - still 13.75 in my miner console. Don't know if that means my hash has increased or whether it's just a momentary thing. Been consistent for the last 10 mins though.

No my hashrate is exactly the same. 13.75 Th/s. Shares are being accepted though. It doesn't work on slushpool - just reboots over and over and shows rejected shares for the little time that it does run. There's something here that's making it work that's for sure. Excited at the possibility of you successfully implementing asicboost. Been waiting a long long time in the hope that the S9 would eventually be able to make use of it.

P.S. Sorry for the late responses. The forum only lets me post once in 30 minutes or something.
At the time you made that post, you were a new user, so the post frequency was limited for you. After 3 posts, there is no limit.

I thought that is probably the case. If you'd like to assist me in getting this implemented on Sunday, we'll give you $20 if you provide us with a Remote Desktop connection to the miner for the day.