Status as of Sunday, December 10, 2017

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Status as of Sunday, December 10, 2017

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 am

Good morning!
  • My main focus today is the memory leak that is causing the mining servers to need to be restarted every few hours. You might have noticed your own miners disconnecting, or seen another mining server go offline and drop down the hashrate for a few minutes. While this only causes a brief interruption to mining, we've found that stability is the #1 draw to mining pools. I spent the day yesterday trying to set up a remote debugger and failed, so today I'm going to write a lot of debug code and deploy it to one mining server to get some data.
  • There are several other known issues that I want to work on next. Some customers are reporting that payout rows in the "Earnings" page specify "Invalid Date," but after submitting the tickets, they fail to reply to the questions I ask to troubleshoot the issue. If you see this problem, please submit a ticket and continue the conversation so that we can figure out how to reproduce it and fix the issue. We usually can't resolve issues submitted in tickets without being provided the requested information.
  • Another known issue is that miners stop reporting to "live coin status" periodically. Since this problem does not cause a loss of money, it's a lower priority, and you can continue mining even if that happens to you.
  • Chris added 12 new coins and discontinued 90 coins last night, now that he is starting to be able to get caught up on maintenance. While the focus has been on the demise of Bitconnectcoin, a lot of the recent drop in profitability has resulted from the demise of Novaexchange, which made 1/4 of scrypt coins worthless overnight because they have no exchanges to trade on.
  • We now are down to 23 tickets in the old support system, and Chris is assigned 21 in the new system. He next needs to fix the DKIM mismatch in our E-Mail server, and then will be moving full-time onto resolving the support tickets. Once he resolves all the tickets, then he'll be able to work to increase profitability by adding new exchanges and even more coins.
A few customers have sent me messages asking why we don't hire more people, or suggesting that they are great candidates and should be hired. I thought it was worth discussing this issue here, because human resources is the main cause of the problems throughout cryptocurrency right now, including at Coinbase, which has a ticket queue length of 10 days and whose trading engine hit 8 times the load of the "emergency" situation they had planned for in June.

The key issue is that when people are hired, they reduce productivity for a month or two, not increase it. First, it takes a lot of time to find candidates and select one. Then, the person needs to be trained. The training not only means that the new hire is unproductive, but it sucks up another employee's time for a week or two. We saw this two weeks ago when Constance came onboard. She is an exceptional employee and figured out most cryptocurrency concepts on the first day, but it still took days to configure a development environment. Our response to support tickets suffered and the tickets went up to 220, before falling to the current 30 or 40.

Of course, we want to hire people as quickly as possible, but there are a number of critical issues coming up that are going to need immediate attention. We need to finish training people so that those people can then supervise and train the next people, leaving me free to continue with normal development. My goal is that we can get Constance trained and then have her hire someone, and then the two of them can hire two more, resulting in exponential growth while still allowing some progress to continue.

In some industries, like government contracting, the "solution" to a schedule slippage is often to double the staff and expect double the work to get done. The government is then surprised to find that the problem got worse, instead of better. The reality is that work proceeds at half-pace for the first two months, and then after six months about 1.9 times the work gets accomplished, because there is 10% more overhead in supervision and communication. People who like the XKCD comics will probably find a treasure trove of them referencing this idea.

I think it's really important for people to understand that when an exchange goes down, the problem usually isn't incompetence or lack of planning. The technology exists to solve the capacity problems. It's the limitation of humans of being able to learn quickly enough and train others to do the same thing. I wonder if there has ever been an industry in the history of the world that has grown so quickly. This may be the first industry where growth is not limited by the demand for a product, but by the ability to hire enough people to keep up with the demand.
Helotours

Re: Status as of Sunday, December 10, 2017

Post by Helotours » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:36 am

Steve,

This is a problem that every industry faces. You are not the first ones to undergo growing pains. Running and developing a business takes financial investments, too. We had an aviation company with helicopters and LiDAR, infra-red, corona and day TV sensors. Hiring pilots and operators that could handle all of it meant "over hiring" and then establishing "ride along" programs that offered the staff a chance to learn by direct experience, day to day. This is the only way that training worked for us. It might take some extra cash, but hiring a couple of people as "ride alongs" may work well for you. The bottom line is that if you really want your business to grow and are dedicated to it - then, you're going to have to go full tilt. Your product is the best that's out there and even with problems, we find ourselves coming back to Prohashing. I still have the "mining an incorrect algo" issue even though I know that the miner(s) is not mining incorrectly. But the interface is extremely helpful and the service is good too. Keep it up, hire 2-3 people at a time to ride along in your back pockets and out of those, you will cycle through and eventually find what you need.