Status as of Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Status as of Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 am

Good morning!
  • Chris encountered an integer overflow issue last night, which went undetected for about three hours. I'm not clear as to why the notifications to Chris's phone aren't being received sooner. No money was lost, so he resolved the issue and credited balances with the usual 15%.
  • The lawyer said that he had other clients and needed an extra week, so we gave him a deadline of October 16. If he completes his analysis by then, we should be able to announce our decision within two weeks. If he is unable to meet the deadline, we made it clear that he will be released from our service, in which case we will need to start the search again from zero. While we originally had wanted to make this announcement in September, I'd say that a more reasonable estimate for an announcement now is early December, with implementation in January and results starting to appear in March.
  • The timeline assumes that it will be possible at all to find a lawyer who is knowledgeable in the field, licensed to practice in Pennsylvania, and willing to accept a new client. We now assign a nonzero chance that we may not be able to continue development because there may be no qualified and willing lawyers available. We cannot take any action or spend any money until we receive an evaluation by a lawyer. We are hoping that the current contract works out and that we do not have to start over with the search.
  • There will be reduced support from Friday to Sunday while Chris is in Asheville. During reduced support, we delay replies to general inquiries like "getting started mining" questions and only address payout issues for coins with high owed balances.
  • The next performance improvement to be released is the application of the difference publisher to miner updates on the "earnings" page. We think we can reduce the live data to about 20% of what it would be if all the identical data were repeated with every update. Bandwidth usage by WAMP is already holding at 5Mbps, and this update should reduce it to about 2Mbps. A month ago, before we started with WAMP improvements, we used about 60Mbps of bandwidth. The bandwidth savings help customers, many of whom complained about "heavy" webpages, and also save money for Chris, who was able to reduce the DDoS protection plan from 48TB to 24TB per month, at a savings of $129.
AppleMiner

Re: Status as of Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Post by AppleMiner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:Good morning!
I'd say that a more reasonable estimate for an announcement now is early December, with implementation in January and results starting to appear in March.
Let's all hope we can still afford to keep the miners on and running past January.
By the time the March results start to appear, I'm betting we have a lot less workers left on that will benefit from it.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:29 pm

AppleMiner wrote:
I'd say that a more reasonable estimate for an announcement now is early December, with implementation in January and results starting to appear in March.
Let's all hope we can still afford to keep the miners on and running past January.
By the time the March results start to appear, I'm betting we have a lot less workers left on that will benefit from it.
That's not how mining is, though. It's true that your miners will be earning less and less, but the total number of miners generally increases.

The same amount of money is simply being distributed among different people, or among more people.
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:That's not how mining is, though. It's true that your miners will be earning less and less, but the total number of miners generally increases.The same amount of money is simply being distributed among different people, or among more people.
Yes, except since the value of the coins isn't increasing very soon with the profits being split across more and more people, some of us due to electric costs wont be able to afford to continue to mine. So depending how much you pay for electricity and how much further the profits fall in the next 3 months, some of us may not be around come the start of the new year to be mining in march to see these new improvements was all I was pointing out.
micca410evo

Post by micca410evo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:41 pm

AppleMiner wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:That's not how mining is, though. It's true that your miners will be earning less and less, but the total number of miners generally increases.The same amount of money is simply being distributed among different people, or among more people.
Yes, except since the value of the coins isn't increasing very soon with the profits being split across more and more people, some of us due to electric costs wont be able to afford to continue to mine. So depending how much you pay for electricity and how much further the profits fall in the next 3 months, some of us may not be around come the start of the new year to be mining in march to see these new improvements was all I was pointing out.
Nobody knows what happens aftert the november/december fork.. but when stability comes back.. i think the future will be looking bright.
Basara

Post by Basara » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm a new member to this site / mining and could you link to me the situation why you need a lawyer?
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:52 am

Basara wrote:I'm a new member to this site / mining and could you link to me the situation why you need a lawyer?
FAQ about current pool issues Some of it is in there.

If you know a lawyer that knows the crypto-currency laws, licensed to operate in PA, I'm sure they would love some contact info.
mycide

Post by mycide » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:13 am

Luckily you'r not talking about catching a train or a flight to go partake in the gold rush, it's gonna be find arriving after the party ^^ So the lawyer is shitty shit shit. Cant hold his timelines and put other clients where your deadline is? Very unprofessional, may i ask do you have professional professionals over there in the land of oppertunity?

Sorry for all the sarcasm.
Running rigs: KNC Titan, Antminer D3 & L3+'s
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:58 am

mycide wrote:Luckily you'r not talking about catching a train or a flight to go partake in the gold rush, it's gonna be find arriving after the party ^^ So the lawyer is shitty shit shit. Cant hold his timelines and put other clients where your deadline is? Very unprofessional, may i ask do you have professional professionals over there in the land of oppertunity?

Sorry for all the sarcasm.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the point of this post is.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 am

AppleMiner wrote:
This is going to be considered in the decision on whether to expand or not.

Our odds have significantly declined since July, because we can't expand into ETH mining, where the money is. If I could just work on this project 70 hours per week, I have absolutely no doubt that we could parallelize the system and make a lot of money on ETH and other algorithms. But in the meantime, other pools continue to advance and present stiffer competition while we cannot.