Status as of Sunday, July 23, 2017

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Status as of Sunday, July 23, 2017

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 am

This is just a brief update since yesterday.
  • By the end of the day, I expect that the parallel database insertion system will be feature-complete and will enter testing. Since there were 2 days of development, I expect 4-6 days of testing. Most likely, we will deploy this improvement on August 5 or 6.
  • Chris did not move the share tables to the faster disks last night, although he did complete the preparations. He'll be doing that some time today.
  • I'll be offline today focusing on these improvements, so thanks for your patience.
GregoryGHarding

Re: Status as of Sunday, July 23, 2017

Post by GregoryGHarding » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

instead of closing registrations due to account value reasons, i propose a limit to concurrent workers, any workers who connect after X workers (example 2500) will get disconnected and will get a pool dead notification and their miner will switch to backup. this will help with uptime while you prepare new fixes, and allow miners to switch once pool performance drops preventing lost/stale/orphaned shares/blocks and improve our income while keeping pool healthy
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:41 pm

We figured out a solution to this issue. We're going to charge users with low difficulties more than users with high difficulties.

People will basically pay for low variance. Difficulty doesn't affect profit, so miners will be able to simply raise their difficulties and not be affected by this change.
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:07 pm

except this will negatively impact miners with hardware that simply cant handle higher difficulty
megaquake

Post by megaquake » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 pm

GregoryGHarding wrote:except this will negatively impact miners with hardware that simply cant handle higher difficulty
You know the right way to handle this is the hard way, raising fees should never be involved in resolving issues, what they need to do if it is indeed a low difficulty issue is to look at the accounts that are submitting to many shares and contact them, if they do not respond then block that account till they comply, if they still fail to contact then so be it.

I know that they can just create a new account and continue, no one ever said running a fairly large pool would never be a full time job, the fees they currently get can cover a full time paying job.

current pool status: Last share processed: 52 minutes ago
JKDReaper

Post by JKDReaper » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:16 pm

megaquake wrote:
GregoryGHarding wrote:except this will negatively impact miners with hardware that simply cant handle higher difficulty
You know the right way to handle this is the hard way, raising fees should never be involved in resolving issues, what they need to do if it is indeed a low difficulty issue is to look at the accounts that are submitting to many shares and contact them, if they do not respond then block that account till they comply, if they still fail to contact then so be it.

I know that they can just create a new account and continue, no one ever said running a fairly large pool would never be a full time job, the fees they currently get can cover a full time paying job.

Probably one of the most common sense responses to all of this. Other accounts could be created, and sure, it would take a little time and effort to contact them, but I'm quite certain there are people out there willing to help, including myself, and not require a $50000 annual salary. (As the most common reason for not doing something lately is they don't have time ot can't afford to hire)

Or as Gregory stated, if this isnt a reasonable thing to do for some other reason that those pesky Republicans cause (ya, I got jokes), hold workers when it gets to that magic point.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:15 am

megaquake wrote:

Chris already works full time on this business.

31% of the fees we receive are not competitive for me against my current employer, which provides healthcare, stability, vacation time, retirement, and where I only need to work 40 hours per week.

I get that some people want me to work more on this business, but I've already made my decision on that, so I ask you to respect that. In the meantime, Chris is working extremely hard. Maybe I will change my mind in the future if I can get my share of the business up or if it earns more.