Status as of Wednesday, June 20, 2017

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Status as of Wednesday, June 20, 2017

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:42 am

Good morning! Here's today's status:
  • It looks like everything is back to normal operation. We've been fortunate that some customers have been slow to return, giving us the opportunity to make sure that issues haven't been introduced by the VPN tunnel. Chris discovered that trades hadn't been occurring during the first hour because Debian renamed "eth0" as "eth1," but other than that he hasn't discovered any major problems.
  • Chris found something I didn't know about - that WAMP is taking up about 80% of all bandwidth right now. Because openvpn is singlethreaded, he's going to create a second tunnel to parallelize WAMP calls. This weekend, I'll investigate why WAMP is using so much bandwidth as part of my continuing investigation to see where unnecessary data can be eliminated.
  • The major issue here is that they gave us a 1st generation server processor in that VPS. The current generation is the 7th, and there is hardware encryption support beginning with later generations. Therefore, their VPS requires about four times as many resources to keep the tunnel open as does our side. Chris is going to have Comcast Enterprise Solutions come for a site visit so that we can try to eliminate OpenVPN as soon as possible anyway.
  • If there were any attacks last night, it seems that Javapipe successfully firewalled them. Chris will have to look at how much bandwidth came in later today.
  • This weekend, Michael will be working on one of two new features in our continuing efforts against hackers. The first will be "block Tor access," which will be disabled by default for existing users and enabled for new users five minutes after registration. Checking this box will force hackers to use more traceable methods to steal money from accounts with Tor access blocked.
  • The other feature will be "E-Mail on payout address change or this setting changed." This one will be a notification that will send an E-Mail to a user when addresses are changed or when someone unchecks the box to send an E-Mail when addresses are changed.
  • SHA-256 mining was delayed by at least one week due to the attackers, to July 23, but could possibly be delayed further if different attacks occur.
  • We apologize for tardy replies to any customer service tickets. Chris will get to them later today. After he has resolved all issues tonight, I'll post another message telling people who did not receive a response to try again, because E-Mail was offline for some time during the attacks.
Last edited by Steve Sokolowski on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piet

Re: Status as of Wednesday, June 20, 2017

Post by piet » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 am

Thats very good news !
i have a suggestion, maybe it`s possible to block a payout for 24hrs after a payoutaddress or the notification-setting changes ?

Keep up the good work guys!
mjgraham

Post by mjgraham » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:38 am

If the main page connects to the WAMP to get the data then that might be some of it, I know if I accidentally leave the main page open when I tether my phone I burn about a gig an hr. Be nice to have maybe a stats tab or something to at least the main page will load a lot quicker.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:25 am

It seems that the majority of the wamp usage is traceable to a few IP addresses. I have limited wamp to 5 connections per IP address and a certain amount of hashrate per IP address. Normal users should not be affected at all, but our upload rate should be significantly curtailed and responsiveness improved.