Status as of Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Status as of Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 am

Good morning. Here's a few notes:
  • As I said yesterday in another post, it seems that every time I improve performance, more customers come and it maxes out performance again. This is like building roads, because instead of the roads having less traffic, more houses are built to take advantage of them and the roads fill up again. Nevertheless, we are making progress.
  • I think that many of the random issues here are related to performance shortfalls on the mining server. Some WAMP issues (not the API issues, but the live updates at the top of the forums), are caused by the mining server being unable to respond to requests and the browser skipping the update. Some stale shares are caused by the mining server being unable to get new work to the miners quickly enough. Some disconnects are due to cloud mining services enforcing a timeout. There have been three releases so far and each one has appeared to reduce these problems. I think that, within 10 days, we can get these issues fully resolved across the board.
  • Chris has all the block explorer data back in the database, but there is some sort of problem with rows missing from the tables.
  • I'm waiting on Chris to deploy a new mining server that has more performance improvements and also fixes the "hashrate history" charts, which are missing data since Sunday. These charts were previously all over the place because database insert delays were causing them to "miss" data, but now new code will wait until the database is caught up before inserting hashrates.
FRISKIE

Re: Status as of Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Post by FRISKIE » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 am

Really encouraging news -

I like the analogy of more people moving into the houses . . I suppose it's a "nice" problem to have then, the problem of trying to keep up with increased demand from more customers :)
vinylwasp

Post by vinylwasp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:Good morning. Here's a few notes:
  • As I said yesterday in another post, it seems that every time I improve performance, more customers come and it maxes out performance again.
Looks like I'll have to stop telling people how profitable it is to mine here for a while and see if that helps Steve. ;)
Seriously though, it's a good problem to have. Hoping you're making enough to cover the costs of performance upgrades and maybe get Chris a minion?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:16 pm

vinylwasp wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:Good morning. Here's a few notes:
  • As I said yesterday in another post, it seems that every time I improve performance, more customers come and it maxes out performance again.
Looks like I'll have to stop telling people how profitable it is to mine here for a while and see if that helps Steve. ;)
Seriously though, it's a good problem to have. Hoping you're making enough to cover the costs of performance upgrades and maybe get Chris a minion?
Alas, that won't work.

I'm not sure if you're in the software business, but if you've been in it before, you've probably found that it takes an inordinate amount of time to learn someone else's code. The only part of the system that has performance problems is the mining server, and it uses so much threading and low-level kernel stuff that it would take months before someone would be able to learn it - and I would have to supervise that person, taking away time from actually fixing the problems.

If you think it's profitable to mine now, wait until Chris has time later this week to fix some of the normal maintenance problems with coins that he hasn't done in weeks.
vinylwasp

Post by vinylwasp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:03 am

Many years in InfoSec working for very large orgs (payments, exchanges, retail and investment Banks), so understand your problem, but the only way you'll ever conquer the single man problem is to start documenting. Don't plan it, just start small and organic with what you're working on now, and in 2 years you'll have the key components of your system documented and be ready to bring on that minion. As it stands, please ask Chris to look both ways when he crosses the road, we can't afford for him to be hit by a bus.

Any bump in profits will always be welcome, the timing might help offset the hashrate swing back to the wider scrypt coin base once segwit is locked in.