Considering removal of "a=" password argument

Discussion of development releases of Prohashing / Requests for features
Forum rules
The Development forum is for discussion of development releases of Prohashing and for feedback on the site, requests for features, etc.

While we can't promise we will be able to implement every feature request, we will give them each due consideration and do our best with the resources and staffing we have available.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Considering removal of "a=" password argument

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat May 14, 2022 10:55 am

As part of my effort to simplify the codebase and eliminate edge case bugs that could cause lower profitability, I was considering removing the "a=" password argument. Customers would instead be required to connect to an algorithm-specific port. Additionally, the port 443 proxy server would be discontinued, since the "a=" password argument is required for its use.

Prohashing primarily used the "a=" password argument until 2017, when algorithm-specific ports were introduced because some algorithms don't follow the stratum protocol specification.

Would you be affected by this change?
Banished_Privateer

Re: Considering removal of "a=" password argument

Post by Banished_Privateer » Mon May 16, 2022 5:27 pm

It was always confusing for me, should I use password or something else, seems like it made creating .bat for miner more complicated and unlike on other mining pools. Simplifying it is a +
bMeister1

Post by bMeister1 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:28 pm

I don't use the "a=" argument so my miners would not be affected by this change.
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Tue May 17, 2022 10:06 am

bMeister1 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:28 pm I don't use the "a=" argument so my miners would not be affected by this change.
Banished_Privateer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:27 pm It was always confusing for me, should I use password or something else, seems like it made creating .bat for miner more complicated and unlike on other mining pools. Simplifying it is a +
How do you feel about the 443 proxy server?
Banished_Privateer

Post by Banished_Privateer » Wed May 18, 2022 2:08 pm

I don't think it would impact me.
bMeister1

Post by bMeister1 » Thu May 19, 2022 1:24 am

Same here. I have never used the proxy server; I just use the algorithm-specific ports. I should also amend my statement about using the "a=" argument as it appears the bat files I have to run equihash-144_5, KAWPOW, and Ethash-LowMemory use it but also while using their respective algorithm-specific ports. But if I understand how this change would work, the "a=" argument becomes unnecessary because it knows what algorithm to use based on the port the miner is connected to, correct? That would then mean that I use it but I don't actually need it for anything.
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Thu May 19, 2022 8:33 am

bMeister1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:24 am Same here. I have never used the proxy server; I just use the algorithm-specific ports. I should also amend my statement about using the "a=" argument as it appears the bat files I have to run equihash-144_5, KAWPOW, and Ethash-LowMemory use it but also while using their respective algorithm-specific ports. But if I understand how this change would work, the "a=" argument becomes unnecessary because it knows what algorithm to use based on the port the miner is connected to, correct? That would then mean that I use it but I don't actually need it for anything.
Correct. The algorithm specific port eliminates the need for the a= argument.