Hamsterpool Closing

Shorter thoughts and general discussion of cryptocurrency related topics
Forum rules
The Cryptocurrency Discussion forum is complementary to Bitcoin Thoughts and is a a place to discuss shorter thoughts about bitcoins, altcoins, and cryptocurrencies.

Topics may include bitcoin prices, outlooks on altcoins, cryptocurrency development, economics, and more. Feel free to share outlooks on other things as long as the major focus is on cryptocurrencies. Announcement posts are prohibited in this forum; review the rules in the other Prohashing forums for the best place to post your announcement.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
rootdude

Hamsterpool Closing

Post by rootdude » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

The competition is fading... Hamsterpool announced today they are closing their 'doors' at the end of the month. Strange because things haven't been better in half a year for scrypt mining. It was just getting good!!!

Glad to be here mining at prohashing during such a great run. Hopefully it won't end for quite some time!
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Hamsterpool Closing

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 am

I don't understand this. Comkort did this too. Businesses go under all the time, but why would you close when profitability has more than doubled over the past month?

If I had made a decision to close the site, and then I suddenly started making twice as much money, I would almost certainly decide to wait until the end of the bubble to see what happened. It's confusing to me that these sites are shutting down just when the most money is available to be made.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Re: Hamsterpool Closing

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:22 pm

They only seemed to have about 10 coins in their scrypt pool; it's no wonder their payouts were about half of ours. The only way we can achieve high profitability is by having 100 coins, and I guess they weren't willing to pay for the server capacity to host that many coins.