Market price rises - will the coin payout drop?

Shorter thoughts and general discussion of cryptocurrency related topics
Forum rules
The Cryptocurrency Discussion forum is complementary to Bitcoin Thoughts and is a a place to discuss shorter thoughts about bitcoins, altcoins, and cryptocurrencies.

Topics may include bitcoin prices, outlooks on altcoins, cryptocurrency development, economics, and more. Feel free to share outlooks on other things as long as the major focus is on cryptocurrencies. Announcement posts are prohibited in this forum; review the rules in the other Prohashing forums for the best place to post your announcement.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
EyePeaSea

Market price rises - will the coin payout drop?

Post by EyePeaSea » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 am

This is going to seem like a really dumb question - so apologies, but I hope someone can clarify for me. I've read the help file, but I'm still a little confused...

Say I'm running on PH in PPS mode, asking for 100% payout in coin Y. The value of coin Y is $1.00. Roughly speaking, my miners operate consistently at the same rate and I average 10 coin Y each day payout from PH (so 10 x $1).

Then, the value of coin Y rises to $10 (hey, this is just an example!). Assume the network difficulty stays the same, would my PH payout be:

a. 1 x coin Y (so the same market value to me, but less coins because PH have to 'buy' the coin and the cost has risen)
or
b. 10 x coin Y

I'm assuming the answer is 1, above. I'd get less coins as PH have to purchase coin Y and my work/reward, doesn't go as far, because the cost of Coin Y has risen.

If this is the case, then would I be right in saying that if coin Y rises in value, then at some point, it may be better for me mine Solo, as the number of blocks I find will stay consistent, regardless of the market price (I'm excluding the effect of network difficulty, for this question).

I'm just curious - I can test it out just by comparing 10 days at PPS and 10 days at Solo, but I'm just trying to understand things better!

Thanks in advance

Ian
toxin

Re: Market price rises - will the coin payout drop?

Post by toxin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:55 am

Im Not 100% sure but pps should be 1 coin if you set c=coinY you should get 10 coins if the difficult stays the same
EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:03 am

@Toxin - Ah, I'd forgotten about that other option, PPS but specify a single coin.
spauk

Post by spauk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

you can't ever expect consistent rewards from solo mining, it's mostly luck but varies depending on network difficulty and how much hashrate you use. not sure what would make you think solo mining is more consistent
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:16 pm

But there are two lines you really should graph....payout from a pool that does it based on $ profit earned coins.
and a graph of a pool that pays out a percentage of coins based on hashrates.

At some point on the graph depending how much the coin you want costs, it will make more or less sense to be on a coin $ profit pool vs a percentage based pool. Knowing when to switch based on difficulty and hashrate and price of coins is key to planning.