Prohashing -v- LitecoinPool

Shorter thoughts and general discussion of cryptocurrency related topics
Forum rules
The Cryptocurrency Discussion forum is complementary to Bitcoin Thoughts and is a a place to discuss shorter thoughts about bitcoins, altcoins, and cryptocurrencies.

Topics may include bitcoin prices, outlooks on altcoins, cryptocurrency development, economics, and more. Feel free to share outlooks on other things as long as the major focus is on cryptocurrencies. Announcement posts are prohibited in this forum; review the rules in the other Prohashing forums for the best place to post your announcement.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
EyePeaSea

Prohashing -v- LitecoinPool

Post by EyePeaSea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm

I've read some, almost angry, comments from people moaning about PH and the pool fee (on forums, twitter etc.). Usually someone else makes the point about the PPShare and the benefits of mining the best coin at any given time, etc.

But I thought I'd put it to a test. Over the last 7 days, I ran one L3+ against PH and the other against LitecoinPool. PH was generating about 3% more until I had some disconnects, but ended up generating just over 1% more than LitecoinPool. For me (and I know this is personal), the flexibility in terms of payout coins on PH is very useful, so even without the slightly higher payout, it would still be a favourite for me. And if I wasn't incredibly unlucky with (I'm assuming) a disconnect during the Verge block find, then the return from PH would have been higher still.

Anyway, it's depressing how some people either deliberately or accidentally, rubbish one thing (e.g. PH) without actually trying it out.

For some balance, I've found LitecoinPool to be absolutely rock solid - I think I've had one disconnect in 7 days. With PH, there have been more connectivity issues but for me, it's the payout that's important.

So - thanks PH for the good service - I hope we jointly continue to make money together :D

Incidentally - another little (off-topic) test. I've just offered a buyer on eBay the option of paying in Litecoin or Gulden. Given them a 5% discount over the price as I won't be paying the PayPal charges. It'll be interesting to see if they go for it. At the moment, it's obviously a minority of people who are happy / able to use Crypto, but I think it's worth offering this as an option.
travelinmusic

Re: Prohashing -v- LitecoinPool

Post by travelinmusic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:14 pm

no need to run, they have an accurate calc.
Did your comparison include the big verge block day at pro? I had a double profit amount that day. What if you exclude that day in your figures? Thanks
EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:19 pm

I appreciate what you're saying, but calculators don't take in account things like disconnect, stale blocks caused by infrastructure issues etc. I know 7 days isn't a long period, but for me, it's more "real world" than just relying on a calculator.

And no, the 1% improvement over LiteCoinPool was *without* the Verge payout (I'm still a bit miffed about that :-( ) - but it's no ones fault, I guess I was just unlucky to be disconnected or something.
Properchunkingnowbuh

Post by Properchunkingnowbuh » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:03 pm

After many weeks of continues pool testing between PH & LCP my results when calculating like for like multiple time frames ,multiple values of m/h's (from 504 to 35000 m/h's ) and payouts taken in LTC all concluded LCP provides me with greater returns when measured in Crypto & FIAT currency.
EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:18 pm

That's interesting - how different from my results? Was LCP better for you by a lot or just a couple of %? By the nature of switching coins, I'm guessing that PH algo will sometimes make poor choices, so I'm not saying it's perfect, just that for my trial, it seemed better. But it is a very close thing.

I presume that the coin selection algo that PH have written will improve over time (particularly as they recruit staff and have more bandwidth to work on the core systems).

If your testing shows LCP to be *much* better, then I'm truly puzzled...
Properchunkingnowbuh

Post by Properchunkingnowbuh » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:17 am

Understanding percentage of gain and how percentage directly scale up when applied to m/h increases .

3 to 5 % of 1 L3 is negligible . 3 to 5 % of 75 L3's is a *much* greater return .

My greater returns do not include any presumptions or guessing what soever.
EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:17 am

My question was "...how different from my results?". I was merely asking out of curiosity as that information may be useful to others, including myself. From your reply, you say 3 - 5%, so I'll take it that is what you've found.

Yes, I agree, a small percentage improvement will be more financially significant, the more mining you do. Whether x% is financially significant to you is your business. I wasn't asking about that and I'm really not interested in your personal finances.

If another pool is performing better then it's interesting information for both miners and the team at PH. I posted my actual results, so it's useful to validate or contradict those results with other information.
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:42 pm

I am seeing consistantly 15% daily higher payouts elsewhere.

I leave a test rig pointed here and when it shows more I swap miners for a day to compare.
But typically I have been moving the miners back after a day to get that extra 15%
EyePeaSea

Post by EyePeaSea » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks for the information AppleMiner, that's really interesting.

Ian
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:17 pm

AppleMiner wrote:I am seeing consistantly 15% daily higher payouts elsewhere.

I leave a test rig pointed here and when it shows more I swap miners for a day to compare.
But typically I have been moving the miners back after a day to get that extra 15%
Which pool are you seeing this payout on?