Is it techinically possible for the D3 to mine other algos?

Shorter thoughts and general discussion of cryptocurrency related topics
Forum rules
The Cryptocurrency Discussion forum is complementary to Bitcoin Thoughts and is a a place to discuss shorter thoughts about bitcoins, altcoins, and cryptocurrencies.

Topics may include bitcoin prices, outlooks on altcoins, cryptocurrency development, economics, and more. Feel free to share outlooks on other things as long as the major focus is on cryptocurrencies. Announcement posts are prohibited in this forum; review the rules in the other Prohashing forums for the best place to post your announcement.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
faceguydb

Is it techinically possible for the D3 to mine other algos?

Post by faceguydb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm

I seen on twitter mostly under bitmain's tweets people asking for updated firmware to mine other algorithms on their D3 because they are upset about the profitability of x11. Does anyone know if this is even possible? I know some other asics can do multiple algos but they might be differently designed and built. I also know that x11 is the only algorithm listed, but is it physically possible to use a D3 for other algos?
AppleMiner

Re: Is it techinically possible for the D3 to mine other algos?

Post by AppleMiner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Would depend how far off they are from the original.

A computer is a programmable machine, if I swap hard drives I can load up Linux, or Windows, or hackintosh...the boot device loads the information into the computer.

Think of the ASIC miners more like a car wash. No matter how many times you turn it on and off, or how you change the scrubbers, or alter the blow dryer...it's still only ever going to be a car wash. MAYBE you can modify it so larger vehicles can get through to get cleaned off, but you can't turn the car wash into a drive thru diner without some major overhauling of the base systems. If X13 was just X11 only a bit bigger MAYBE it could work, but if they are based on a totally different layout/work order then no, only what it can do.

I'm pretty sure the KNC Miners were only scrypt machines but they did develop a way for them to mine X11 but it was at like 4X less hashrate than the scrypt hashrates. So it's not impossible if the algos are compatible and the machine is capable.
faceguydb

Re: Is it techinically possible for the D3 to mine other algos?

Post by faceguydb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm

AppleMiner wrote:Would depend how far off they are from the original.

A computer is a programmable machine, if I swap hard drives I can load up Linux, or Windows, or hackintosh...the boot device loads the information into the computer.

Think of the ASIC miners more like a car wash. No matter how many times you turn it on and off, or how you change the scrubbers, or alter the blow dryer...it's still only ever going to be a car wash. MAYBE you can modify it so larger vehicles can get through to get cleaned off, but you can't turn the car wash into a drive thru diner without some major overhauling of the base systems. If X13 was just X11 only a bit bigger MAYBE it could work, but if they are based on a totally different layout/work order then no, only what it can do.

I'm pretty sure the KNC Miners were only scrypt machines but they did develop a way for them to mine X11 but it was at like 4X less hashrate than the scrypt hashrates. So it's not impossible if the algos are compatible and the machine is capable.
That's how I understand it as well. I guess the only people that really know the answer are the people who designed it. To get to x13 from x11 you need to do the hamsi algo followed by the fugue algo (from what google tells me). I imagine that doing those on the onboard cpu after would degrade the hashrate dramatically so there would have to be some way to use the hashboards to get to x13 if you want a hashrate worth it's energy. Is that even possible or did it need to be designed that way from the start?