Tell us. What's your Origin Story?

Shorter thoughts and general discussion of cryptocurrency related topics
Forum rules
The Cryptocurrency Discussion forum is complementary to Bitcoin Thoughts and is a a place to discuss shorter thoughts about bitcoins, altcoins, and cryptocurrencies.

Topics may include bitcoin prices, outlooks on altcoins, cryptocurrency development, economics, and more. Feel free to share outlooks on other things as long as the major focus is on cryptocurrencies. Announcement posts are prohibited in this forum; review the rules in the other Prohashing forums for the best place to post your announcement.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Sarah Manter

Tell us. What's your Origin Story?

Post by Sarah Manter » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:28 pm

What's your Cryptomining Origin Story?

TeslaSolar

Re: Tell us. What's your Origin Story?

Post by TeslaSolar » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm

I have been mining since about 2013, got serious in 2017 with my first purchase of an L3+.
I now have an L3+, a Goldhshell Mini-Doge, 2x 3060, 2x 1660ti, and 2x 1660s mining with solar supplementation from my chicken coops.
Currently using mining earnings to expand my solar capacity.
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:16 pm

TeslaSolar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm I have been mining since about 2013, got serious in 2017 with my first purchase of an L3+.
I now have an L3+, a Goldhshell Mini-Doge, 2x 3060, 2x 1660ti, and 2x 1660s mining with solar supplementation from my chicken coops.
Currently using mining earnings to expand my solar capacity.
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
I love that you're utilizing solar power!
BMChris

Post by BMChris » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:38 am

I'm a complete filthy-casual :D My mining rig is just my gaming PC running an 8GB RX580.

On a whim, around April this year, I decided to buy £10 worth of DOGE after hearing about it for years, thinking 'well the worst that could happen is I lose £10'

That got me looking into Mining - It was Steve's how-to videos on Youtube that made me choose Prohashing, it was really easy to set up some simple ETHash mining on my GPU. The Prohashing payouts got me to open a Coinbase account and I've been enjoying their Coinbase Earn offers.

I've set myself a fun goal to see how much I can make without directly buying any more than that original £10 investment (haha, that DOGE is worth about 40% of what it was when I got it). So far, using a couple of play-to-earn gaming sites where I just switch my phone to Developer mode and leave it overnight, Coinbase Earn and mining I've made about £133 so far which isn't a lot but has been really fun to do and learn about as I go along. It's really addictive watching the numbers go up even if they are just tiny amounts.

I had a dabble at trading using Stormgain's faucet (it gives you a 'bonus' which you can't withdraw or convert directly, but you keep any profits you make from trading it) but I'm really, really bad at it.

My latest step which I intend to start today - I've scraped around $75 together on Binance and am going to try using trading bots and see what happens.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:14 am

Not much to tell really.

I actually started playing in the crypto scene shortly after Bitcoin was released. Those were the wild west days when BTC was CPU mined. There was no such thing as ACIS rigs. Being a cryptology fan this was a crazy time.

I remember having hundreds of coins, not satoshi but whole coins. They were tossed around without a thought because they were worth very little in those days. I wish I had them today. :shock:

As time marched on I sold them off to buy something that I am sure is long gone my now.

Now days I have a handful of CPU and GPU miners running. This feeds the wallets I use for trading. It is basically a fun game. Ride the next bull run and trade off at the it peak. Who would have thought that watching numbers and candlestick charts could be so exciting. :o
BMChris

Post by BMChris » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 am

Mastermind007 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:14 am Now days I have a handful of CPU and GPU miners running. This feeds the wallets I use for trading. It is basically a fun game. Ride the next bull run and trade off at the it peak. Who would have thought that watching numbers and candlestick charts could be so exciting. :o
It stresses me out waiting for a $10 trade, I don't think my heart could take it trading 1000s of dollars of my own money :lol:
-MaVerick-

Post by -MaVerick- » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:08 am

Dogecoin and temporary unemployment status brought me here. I had time and heard interesting stuff about crypto, a dog and money. Turned out my timing was the worst possible ever with starting on everythings ATH in May, surfing the profit wave for maybe 3-4 days and bam. But learning the hard way right from the start can't hurt that much.

Starting out with a 1060 6GB, I invested the soul of my first born in a 3060 12GB in the meantime which is getting a little efficient now. At least 2 GPU will follow when the time is right and all stars are aligned. Running out of souls here.
jreysack

Post by jreysack » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:57 pm

well got into the stock market last year in early summer, then started off buying into crypto. Figured it would be easier to mine it than just buy it. so started on unminable but figured out that i am only mining for them and they are paying out in separate coins. so looked around and found here. started mining different algo's trying to figure out which one was best for a 970, then started watching vids and researching different algos and mining software. stuck doing the GPU thing for now. Acquired some 1060 amp gpus and just let em run all day long. Think i've learned more about electrical and hvac/insulating while doing this than ever before.
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:19 pm

BMChris wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:38 am I'm a complete filthy-casual :D My mining rig is just my gaming PC running an 8GB RX580.

On a whim, around April this year, I decided to buy £10 worth of DOGE after hearing about it for years, thinking 'well the worst that could happen is I lose £10'

That got me looking into Mining - It was Steve's how-to videos on Youtube that made me choose Prohashing, it was really easy to set up some simple ETHash mining on my GPU. The Prohashing payouts got me to open a Coinbase account and I've been enjoying their Coinbase Earn offers.

I've set myself a fun goal to see how much I can make without directly buying any more than that original £10 investment (haha, that DOGE is worth about 40% of what it was when I got it). So far, using a couple of play-to-earn gaming sites where I just switch my phone to Developer mode and leave it overnight, Coinbase Earn and mining I've made about £133 so far which isn't a lot but has been really fun to do and learn about as I go along. It's really addictive watching the numbers go up even if they are just tiny amounts.

I had a dabble at trading using Stormgain's faucet (it gives you a 'bonus' which you can't withdraw or convert directly, but you keep any profits you make from trading it) but I'm really, really bad at it.

My latest step which I intend to start today - I've scraped around $75 together on Binance and am going to try using trading bots and see what happens.
It's amazing how something that starts small as a passing interest can turn into a hobby or even full-time income, isn't it?
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Mastermind007 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:14 am Not much to tell really.

I actually started playing in the crypto scene shortly after Bitcoin was released. Those were the wild west days when BTC was CPU mined. There was no such thing as ACIS rigs. Being a cryptology fan this was a crazy time.

I remember having hundreds of coins, not satoshi but whole coins. They were tossed around without a thought because they were worth very little in those days. I wish I had them today. :shock:

As time marched on I sold them off to buy something that I am sure is long gone my now.

Now days I have a handful of CPU and GPU miners running. This feeds the wallets I use for trading. It is basically a fun game. Ride the next bull run and trade off at the it peak. Who would have thought that watching numbers and candlestick charts could be so exciting. :o
Aw man! I can't even imagine how many people have kicked themselves for selling off things that are worth big money now!