Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Post Reply
Some1notu
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:48 am

Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by Some1notu » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:28 am

I'm having some weird problems with my old heaps and wanted to see if I can get a bit of help. Two Cyclones I've had turned off don't seem to want to mine anymore. Well actually they will mine, as they both work just fine, but I can't get Windows 10 pro 64bit or my Pi images to "see" them anymore. I KNOW they both work and here is why...in winblows I can get a Zeus Lightning "seen" by the OS, which then shows a COM port. I can then connect the Cyclone/Thunder2X to that port and it mines just fine. But If I disconnect the Lightning the COM port disappears. Obviously I can't run them both on the same COM simultaneously. In Device Manager if I connect only the 2X, no port appears and I get an error down in the USB controllers(I don't remember the exact error by name but did google it trying every solution in the wild, but none worked).......so winblows kinda sorta "sees" the 2X got plugged in, but doesn't have a clue what it is. Naturally that would make you think the driver is the problem(and might be) but I've manually tried to install the correct driver and winblows doesn't install it and says the best driver is already installed. I'm stumped. I've been faffing with this for over a month.

My Starminer Pi image doesn't see the miners either. Dunno why. Am not a linux dude. Config is correct, just never starts to mine. If you have a Starminer or other Pi image you KNOW is working with a Cyclone/Thunder2X then please give me a dropbox or other download link.

I sent an email to zoomhash about their Pi image over a month ago without response. "I'm trying to get your raspberry pi software running, but it doesn't detect the Cyclones I have. Sometimes I get a brief log ending with: ./bfgminer: --zeus-cc: "Value out of range"

I've set the correct number of chips to 96 and 342 freq. Get nothing, no mining at all. Nothing shows as detected." If you know the problem with the zoomhash thing, please do tell.

I just want to get the dam things mining as they make for decent heaters that partly pay for themselves. TIA :)
User avatar
CritterDog
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by CritterDog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Some1notu wrote:I'm having some weird problems with my old heaps and wanted to see if I can get a bit of help. Two Cyclones I've had turned off don't seem to want to mine anymore. Well actually they will mine, as they both work just fine, but I can't get Windows 10 pro 64bit or my Pi images to "see" them anymore. I KNOW they both work and here is why...in winblows I can get a Zeus Lightning "seen" by the OS, which then shows a COM port. I can then connect the Cyclone/Thunder2X to that port and it mines just fine. But If I disconnect the Lightning the COM port disappears. Obviously I can't run them both on the same COM simultaneously. In Device Manager if I connect only the 2X, no port appears and I get an error down in the USB controllers(I don't remember the exact error by name but did google it trying every solution in the wild, but none worked).......so winblows kinda sorta "sees" the 2X got plugged in, but doesn't have a clue what it is. Naturally that would make you think the driver is the problem(and might be) but I've manually tried to install the correct driver and winblows doesn't install it and says the best driver is already installed. I'm stumped. I've been faffing with this for over a month.

My Starminer Pi image doesn't see the miners either. Dunno why. Am not a linux dude. Config is correct, just never starts to mine. If you have a Starminer or other Pi image you KNOW is working with a Cyclone/Thunder2X then please give me a dropbox or other download link.

I sent an email to zoomhash about their Pi image over a month ago without response. "I'm trying to get your raspberry pi software running, but it doesn't detect the Cyclones I have. Sometimes I get a brief log ending with: ./bfgminer: --zeus-cc: "Value out of range"

I've set the correct number of chips to 96 and 342 freq. Get nothing, no mining at all. Nothing shows as detected." If you know the problem with the zoomhash thing, please do tell.

I just want to get the dam things mining as they make for decent heaters that partly pay for themselves. TIA :)
You can get Minera to run your Thunder2X but I don't know about cyclone.
https://getminera.com
User avatar
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: State College, PA

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:47 pm

I can try to help, but I need more information. We have two Thunder X6s connected to a Windows 10 PC and they show up as separate COM ports. How do you have the Cyclones connected to the PC? Do they each have a separate USB port, so three USB devices connected to the PC including the Lightning?
Some1notu
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:48 am

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by Some1notu » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 pm

I was trying Minera just after making the OP. Same result so far. The frustration factor is off the scale at this point.

In Windows device manager I get this error: Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) and I've tried everything I've found on google to fix it, without success. As I type this one of the Cyclones is running fine on COM 5, which is the COM that opened when I connected the Thunder X6.

Chris to answer your question slightly more thoroughly.......I am using these as heat basically. Connected to this Windows 10 pro PC are a Lightning and a Thunder X6. I have a Thunder X6 in my office connected to a ETH rig which also runs Win10 pro. The Cyclones are in another area and I'm trying to connect them to yet another ETH rig that has a Thunder X6 connected.

So far I've tried connecting the Cyclones to all three of these Win10 pro PC's, as well as two different Pi's trying zoomhash, starminer, and Minera. Both Cyclones work on the PC's as long as I've connected a Thunder X6 or Lightning to it first..........of course the Thunder or Lightning can't be mining for the Cyclones to work. None of the Pi setup's has so much as detected the Cyclones. I get the same error Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) on all three PC's. I've tried manually installing WinUSB drivers using Zadig.......driver can't be installed for some fucking reason. It only says "Could not allocate resource" and Zadig gives me the middle finger without further explanation. Mr. Google has be less than forthcoming on the "Could not allocate resource".

Got any ideas? I'm about to set up Win7 on a virtual server as I'm fresh out of coherent thoughts at this point.
nukepower
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by nukepower » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:28 am

Post your setting i used to own a few of those old Zeus miner , I'm rebuilding a X6 for fun, it's all most done only need two more boards with sinks cables and it's done might sell it on Ebay they still sell kind of good there, i only use minera and doing the beta which is nice but that's all MIch wants us to say till he makes it public beta but if you want to join just ask MICH he wants it secret, what said and what it looks like till it goes public beta .

Install Ubuntu 16 or whatever os you want then just Use BFG not CG it's works better .if you haven't tiried a self powered hub those cyclones actually needed one to run better.


Rasp berry's can run UBUNTU 16, i use orange PIs and cube boards with Ubuntu 16.04 and minera , for some reason don't care much for RPI after i learn how to do stuff on PI.
Last edited by nukepower on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: State College, PA

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:39 am

Some1notu wrote:I was trying Minera just after making the OP. Same result so far. The frustration factor is off the scale at this point.

In Windows device manager I get this error: Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) and I've tried everything I've found on google to fix it, without success. As I type this one of the Cyclones is running fine on COM 5, which is the COM that opened when I connected the Thunder X6.

Chris to answer your question slightly more thoroughly.......I am using these as heat basically. Connected to this Windows 10 pro PC are a Lightning and a Thunder X6. I have a Thunder X6 in my office connected to a ETH rig which also runs Win10 pro. The Cyclones are in another area and I'm trying to connect them to yet another ETH rig that has a Thunder X6 connected.

So far I've tried connecting the Cyclones to all three of these Win10 pro PC's, as well as two different Pi's trying zoomhash, starminer, and Minera. Both Cyclones work on the PC's as long as I've connected a Thunder X6 or Lightning to it first..........of course the Thunder or Lightning can't be mining for the Cyclones to work. None of the Pi setup's has so much as detected the Cyclones. I get the same error Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) on all three PC's. I've tried manually installing WinUSB drivers using Zadig.......driver can't be installed for some fucking reason. It only says "Could not allocate resource" and Zadig gives me the middle finger without further explanation. Mr. Google has be less than forthcoming on the "Could not allocate resource".

Got any ideas? I'm about to set up Win7 on a virtual server as I'm fresh out of coherent thoughts at this point.
I specifically recall having to manually install a FTDI serial driver in the device manager for our Thunders before they would work. Did you manually install drivers for the USB to serial converters?
nukepower
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by nukepower » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:47 am

for BFG and windows you want these http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Page ... ivers.aspx the other ones CG uses can cause issue .if your using BFG .


this does sound like a driver issue

Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) it depends which version software miners for the drivers in windows .
Some1notu
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:48 am

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by Some1notu » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:48 pm

nukepower wrote:for BFG and windows you want these http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Page ... ivers.aspx the other ones CG uses can cause issue .if your using BFG .


this does sound like a driver issue

Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) it depends which version software miners for the drivers in windows .
I have already installed the CP210X drivers. They are required to get the ThunderX6 units working.

@Chris When these first arrived years ago there was a different driver for them. The CP210X was the second driver released with the next version of the miner. I do not have that original driver, nor do I remember enough of it's name to even google it. Zeus is closed so I can't get it there. I thought it was a basic driver included with Windows by now. I just searched and found "FTDI serial driver" and will give that a shot. It isn't a huge priority but I'll report back after trying it.

Thanks all :)

EDIT: Didn't work :(
nukepower
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: Zeus Cyclone/Thunder2x help needed

Post by nukepower » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:30 pm

as far i know there was actually three one for Bfg and one for CG Miner which miner are you using that does matter with windows why not use a PI it works better with them and they come with all the drivers and are plug and play any PI that can run Linux can run Zeus miners with BFG CG miner i think there was one other soft ware miner forked form cdminer that got less use i forget the name. and third driver i forget what it is called and it never was used as much to bugie i think was why . this is the CG miner driver http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/zadig/ there is another version of it some place with a UI . i never liked CK still don't so i avoided using CGminer when i could . he just censored me on the bitcoins forums what a ass ,, well any way That's off topic i need to that go.


down load zadig_v2.0.1.161.exe it has the UI . from that link or http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/zadig/

any image works if you don't mine using the command line black screen way with Screen installed , and starniner it out date only used CG Miner if i remember right .

this might be why i didn't read it all at first . --zeus-cc:

use this instead with BFG 5.4

for the X6
--scrypt -S zus:all --set zus:chips=128 --set zus:clock=328

for the cyclones

--scrypt -S zus:all --set zus:chips=96 --set zus:clock=245

or both to gather on the same PC or pI type

--scrypt -S zus:all --set zus:chips=96 --set zus:clock=245 --set zus:chips=128 --set zus:clock=238

you can try this image from zoomhash but it's old and out dated and may not work well

http://p.lewd.es/10-7-14.img.gz
Post Reply