RandomX alternative

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Mastermind007

RandomX alternative

Post by Mastermind007 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:31 am

I had mentioned a month or so ago in chat my theoretical profit from VerusCoin (VRSC) compared to RandomX (XMR). The calculation pointed to VerusCoin being the more profitable of the two. Since RandomX seemed to be on its way to becoming unprofitable in the near future I was looking to an alternative.

Fast forward to now and I have some real world data that confirms my original theory. I took three low end laptops (early i5's) and one brand new i9-11980HK and set them up to for RandomX for a week. I then switch them to mine VerusCoin for a week. Used Prohashing for the RandomX and LuckPool for VerusCoin. Both payout daily so less impact over multiple days due to market changes. I also wanted to cover a range of CPU technologies as some CPU code set performs better than others. I wish I had some AMD CPU's to test with and they look to me better as CPU mining in general. RandomX used XMRig and VerusCoin used HellMiner.

At then end of the testing VerusCoin was 42% more profitable than RandomX for the entire group hash. Looking at the individual systems, all were more profitable mining VerusCoin with the newer i9 showing the larger profit difference between the two algorithms.

I did what I could to keep the testing fair, even going to far as to taking into account the fees to trade the VerusCoin into DOGE. Unless RandomX get back to the 5.5+ cents/KS/s, VerusCoin to be more profitable. This is not to suggest everyone drop RandomX. This is just my results over a set period of time. Do your own testing to confirm.

I know Raven is the next minable coin offering from Prohashing and I can't wait for that to happen but as for a CPU offering I think it would be profitable to not only miners but Prohashing as well. There is coming a time when RandomX will cost to much to mine. Better to get Infront of that before it happens by having an alternative.

Me personally, I have switch all my CPU's to VerusCoin. Would be great if that hashing power was going to a Prohashing pool but one can only hope that changes at some point in the future.
Daeghan

Re: RandomX alternative

Post by Daeghan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:41 pm

I too would LOVE to see an alternative that was profitable; I mined RandomX for about a month before I realized I wasn't making more than the electricity cost to run it. And the wear and tear on the CPU wasn't even factored in.

Because of this I've completely stopped mining with CPU because of this. Would be great to see some CPU mined stuff be offered here that was profitable.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:22 am

Daeghan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:41 pm I too would LOVE to see an alternative that was profitable; I mined RandomX for about a month before I realized I wasn't making more than the electricity cost to run it. And the wear and tear on the CPU wasn't even factored in.

Because of this I've completely stopped mining with CPU because of this. Would be great to see some CPU mined stuff be offered here that was profitable.
I am finding more and more posts just like yours all over the net from various forums. Miners either stop CPU mining or switch to something else.
Those that continue to mine Monero do so because it has good marketing. There stance on being anti-ASIC leads many to believe it is profitable.

As of this posting it you have a high-end Ryzen CPU and very low electricity cost you can still turn a profit but only if you already have the hardware, If you buy a new CPU it would take a couple years to pay it off.

Since you have stopped mining Monero you may want to look into either VerusCoin or Raptoreum. I have not researched Raptoreum yet. Just going by numbers shared in other forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:35 am

We'd love to implement this, but unfortunately, we don't have enough employees right now.

If you'd like to be a support technician, financial analyst, or administrative assistant, please submit a support ticket with your résume and we'll be glad to look at it. We will also consider junior developers. Once we can get these positions filled, Chris and I will be able to work on the difficult technical issues like implementing new CPU algorithms instead of doing things we're not good at, like taxes.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:08 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:35 am We'd love to implement this, but unfortunately, we don't have enough employees right now.

If you'd like to be a support technician, financial analyst, or administrative assistant, please submit a support ticket with your résume and we'll be glad to look at it. We will also consider junior developers. Once we can get these positions filled, Chris and I will be able to work on the difficult technical issues like implementing new CPU algorithms instead of doing things we're not good at, like taxes.
There is just never enough time in the day. If I did not already have a really good career I would definitely send in a résume. Prohashing seems like a great and fun company.

I understand the manpower issue. I was a network engineer for 15 years and then turned application developer five years ago. Lately the company I work for has been finding it hard to get people so I have been dusting off my old engineer hat to help out. Seems we either find people who want $150k/year for a $75K/year job or we get people who have the IQ of a turnip and think it would be a good idea to get into "computers". :roll:

This post was mainly to dump some knowledge on my fellow miners and for the pool staff should you be looking into CPU algro case studies. This would have to be re-tested if/when VerusHash is considered. Raptoreum (RTM) is another CPU option but I have not performed any week long testing. In short 12 hours test it is very close to Verushash is profitability.