Sudden Increase in Rejected Shares

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
kires

Sudden Increase in Rejected Shares

Post by kires » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:40 am

Beginning at around 05.30 EST, I began receiving accepted share percentage notifications. My accepted share percentage is usually above 98%. Is anyone else experiencing this, or is is just me?
excelerator

Re: Sudden Increase in Rejected Shares

Post by excelerator » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Same here - 98% is low for me and I'm seeing 94% & 91% today
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:45 pm

I am looking into this. I will reply when I have more information.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:21 pm

Chris is continuing to investigate, and will have an answer later tonight.

Thanks for this report! We think that you discovered a bug that has been present for years. There is some problem with proof-of-stake mining that causes rejects for a significant proportion of shares. Proof of stake coins have 25% rejects while all other coins are below 0.2% or so.

In the past, proof of stake coins were not profitable because they had high orphan rates. However, Chris enabled the new orphan bonus code on proof of stake coins last night. It has been a wild success, resulting in hugely increased profits for those coins and they are being selected much more often. As a result, the higher rejected share rates for those coins are taking up a greater proportion of mining.

We'll probably need to fix this issue during the weekend. In the meantime, we think that profitability is higher even with the rejected shares, because miners are being paid at double or triple profits when rejects are only increased to 25%. Please let us know if that isn't the case and Chris will keep investigating.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:12 am

After further investigation, Steve was only partially correct. Last night, I enabled selfish mining on proof-of-stake coins. For an unknown reason, enabling this feature for proof-of-stake coins caused an increase in stale shares of proof-of-stake coins. Without selfish mining, proof of stake coins were no more likely to have stale shares than proof-of-work coins.

I have disabled selfish mining on proof-of-stake coins, and the rejected share rate should return to normal. Steve will investigate the problem over the weekend, determine why the proof-of-stake coins are behaving this way, and correct the issue.
kires

Post by kires » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:29 am

Thanks, guys. I saw may last Accepted shares percentage email around 22.30 last night.
excelerator

Post by excelerator » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:16 pm

Ditto and thanks as well - I'm back to 98%+