beginner proswitching + ports question

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
mithhash

beginner proswitching + ports question

Post by mithhash » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:14 pm

I am brand new and am not 100% clear on how the proswitching works.

The introduction walks you through configuring the gMiner to work with prohashing and that makes sense. In it, we set --algo ethash and --server prohashing.com:3339.

I see there are other potential ports and algos, but I can't ever get these to work. I guess my question is two fold:

1. Does it matter which algo + server port I connect to to enable/maximize proswitching as long as password c= is not set?

2. Can someone post an example of what what needs to be entered to connect to SHA-256 or Neoscrypt? I tried "--algo neoscrypt --server prohashing.com:3338" and similar for others, but I received a generic error.

Thanks!
spauk

Re: beginner proswitching + ports question

Post by spauk » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:38 am

Generally miner programs only work on one algorithm at a time unless it's dual mining, but I don't know if they support dual mining here. Yes it matters which port you use, you want to select the port for the algorithm that is the most profitable for your GPU. If you can mine ethash with your gpu, it's probably the most profitable right now, so there is no need to switch algo. Gminer is for ethash and equihash variant coins, if you wanted to mine neoscrypt you would use a different miner program like cryptodredge, ccminer, or sgminer. Efficient SHA256 mining requires an ASIC that usually comes with its own software.
mithhash

Re: beginner proswitching + ports question

Post by mithhash » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks -- yes, I have now realized I need different miners for different algos :) Appreciate the response!