KnCMiner Titan Hanging After ProHashing Switch?

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
ltc2084

KnCMiner Titan Hanging After ProHashing Switch?

Post by ltc2084 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:03 am

After I switched to Prohashing I come back to my miners and often find them hung after many hours.

Does anyone else have this issue?

It's weird in that the miner's LCD panel and the dashboard both show mh/s activity -- only the amperage is not right and only cold air is blowing out.

So I power cycle and the problem goes away.

Perhaps a certain coin is incompatible with Titan's?

I am running 2.0 firmware.

Chris and Steve, is it easy to check the logs to see if there is always a big drop in hashing when a certain coin is hit? I would think if it's really a problem with all Titan's then more people would have reported it so I wonder if the hanging issue is just a coincidence with my switch.

Perhaps I need a new SD card.
kires

Re: KnCMiner Titan Hanging After ProHashing Switch?

Post by kires » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:51 am

I suspect that you need a new SD card. I've got 8 cubes as well, also running 2.0, and the only issue I have any more is that mine fail the restart testing, (I know the pol has been restarted because I see my guys in red on the Earnings page) but that is taken care of by bouncing the miner process on my end.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 am

This issue will be fixed tomorrow. We have a new server release coming out that eliminates the need for restart testing entirely. You can try what kires said, or just wait and I think performance will be much better then.
ltc2084

Post by ltc2084 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:58 pm

It hung again last night (Jan 23)

It's the weirdest thing because the miner says on it that it's hashing at a normal high rate but it's not hot -- it's not using power -- none of the cubes are actually hashing.

Just now I switched back to a different pool because I don't like babysitting and missing so much hashing time. I tried to get the ProHashing email notifications for stopped hashing but never saw any emails come in. (I prob. need to check the spam folder come to think of it.)

(Might want to consider adding Google Talk notifications if you can. The "other" pool I'm switching to has Gtalk notifications as well as email for stopped miner notification.)

I'm going to run for a while on the other pool and see if it hangs again or not. This last time went for several days without incident.

Also oddly, I have been running my Titan in Failover mode and when I went to my alt. pool it shows small spikes of activity the last week or so when I had been on ProHashing as a primary. Very small. But it indicates that the Titan thought ProHashing was unavailable at those times. Of course that's not ideal either. And those issues could be outside of the ProHashing server control possibly. But it's not ideal because it indicates hashing from PH was interruppted.

If the other pool also shows that it will freeze perhaps I'll have to try alt firmware. If that happens I'll come back and try again for sure.

If everything works solidly over there perhaps there is an incompatibility with Titan's on KnCMiner's latest firmware (2.00?) and one of the alt coins used on ProHashing somehow. If that's the case perhaps we can identify the issue so I can come back to the ProHashing pool.
kires

Post by kires » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:51 pm

Have you replaced the SD card, or ruled it out as the cause of the issue? I've never heard of the display showing hashing while the dies are cool. On the off chance it's a config issue, here's the configuration that has been working the best for me for the past year.

Code: Select all

{
  "pools": [
    {
      "url": "stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333/#skipcbcheck",
      "user": "kires",
      "pass": "n=Titan_1 d=16384"
    }
  ],
  "no-submit-stale": false,
  "scrypt-n": 10,
  "failover-only": true
}
edit - I think there might be a difference between 'failover mode' and 'failover only', in that failover mode still connects to the alternate pools, which seems to have a significant impact on the Titans' hashrate.