x16rv2 mining status

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
sludge

x16rv2 mining status

Post by sludge » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi,

Since today I cannot connect to x16rv2 mining pool. Was working fine last few days. Now I just get timeouts:

[NOTICE ] 20/02/10 11:24:30 Starting on stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3352
[INFO ] 20/02/10 11:24:30 GPU monitoring enabled (NVML).
[INFO ] 20/02/10 11:24:30 Mining 'x16rv2' with 2 threads.
[X16 ] 20/02/10 11:24:30 Hashorder algorithm legend: Slow Medium Fast
[INFO ] 20/02/10 11:24:30 HTTP API server started: http://127.0.0.1:4067
[ERROR ] 20/02/10 11:24:30 ...retry after 30 seconds
[INFO ] 20/02/10 11:24:31 Legacy API server started: telnet://0.0.0.0:4028
[ERROR ] 20/02/10 11:25:00 ...retry after 30 seconds
[ERROR ] 20/02/10 11:25:30 ...retry after 30 seconds

Is this pool overloaded or is it some other issue?

Thanks for looking into it.
mstrozier

Re: x16rv2 mining status

Post by mstrozier » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks for posting this as I was about to do the same. x16rv2 algo on Prohashing has been down since about 3am Eastern Time today. I've had to shift my Ravencoin miners over to another pool since it's down on this site. I have a ticket submitted in regards to payouts as I didn't get my Ravencoin payout on Feb 9th either. And they are looking into it. I did get a email from them that they are reviewing the issue. So hopefully everything will be back up soon.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:35 pm

There is a problem with Ravencoin, but we're not clear exactly what the cause is.

Chris is looking into the issue and hopes to come to a resolution soon.
spoon1

Post by spoon1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:07 pm

Yes, and while you were looking into it, all my earnings for the weekend were taken. Even on earnings from miners mining on none Raven coin algos.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:39 am

We figured out what was wrong with Ravencoin. It turns out that the coin forked four days ago. After the coin forked, it looks like the difficulty dropped, and the system erroneously credited customers for earnings above what Ravencoin was expected to earn during that period.

While the monitoring system has a check to temporarily stop payouts if earnings increase by more than 30% compared to the previous day, that check does not apply to individual algorithms. Had the check been triggered, the issue would have been discovered within 24 hours. However, the pool's overall earnings for all algorithms didn't increase by that much, so the check was not triggered.

To prevent this issue in the future, I'll add a task to monitor payouts by algorithm, and then to modify the check in the monitoring system to temporarily halt payouts if any individual algorithm increases by more than 30% compared to the previous day. While I appreciate the suggestion of hiring someone, it's not likely that hiring someone would have prevented the issue because the person would not have been able to look out for individual algorithm payout increases. We don't currently separate payouts by algorithm. If we had thought to add a table to separate payouts by algorithm, then the check would have already been in the monitoring system.

Our "Errors and Liabilities Policy" in the documentation states that in cases like these, we pay miners what they should have earned plus a 15% bonus. In this specific instance, we doubled the earnings of x16rv2 miners instead, providing far more than 15%. The goal of the increase was to ensure that no direct miners lost money as a result of the issue. We wanted to be sure not only that direct miners remained profitable, but also that they could not have earned more money by mining at another pool. About $5,074 was deducted as a result of the error. About $100 should have been earned during that period, which equals $200 in paid earnings.

Some customers who mined other algorithms in addition to x16rv2 have reported that they may have received deductions that affected other algorithms. Chris is investigating those reports and will re-increase those balances for other algorithms.

In previous forum posts, we have stated that customers who report forks are generally rewarded with being able to retain erroneous earnings, plus a bonus for the reporting. In this case, however, no customer reported the fork, so no bonus payout was given.

Some customers stated that they rented miners from Nicehash to connect to the pool. These are the only customers we are aware of who may have lost money due to the problem, as they may have paid more to Nicehash than even the doubled earnings provided. As we have stated before, Nicehash does not prohibit 51% attacks against exchanges, does not police its networks to prevent block withholding attacks, and is operating illegally in the United States by not filing required paperwork. Customers are welcome to try to use Nicehash miners with Prohashing, but we cannot provide support to Nicehash miners, and those who use Nicehash do so at their own risk. Our focus is to help direct miners as much as possible.

Hopefully this clarifies the Ravencoin issue, and thanks for mining with us!
liquidone

Post by liquidone » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:55 am

Steve,

I realize you have some philosophical issues with Nicehash however there is nothing illegal about purchasing hashpower from them. Moreover, my biggest issue is that you advertise Nicehash on your homepage!

In business there is something called optics which transcends terms of service. In this case the optics are really bad. In your previous post you have admitted some culpability in this issue by not having some better checks and balances in place.

My guess is most of us are hobby miners and use this for a little entertainment and pocket change. For some it is food off the table as we could have been mining something else more profitable.

Is it really worth 5k to potentially loose some good long term customers?

I kindly ask that you return the earnings.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:38 pm

liquidone wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:55 am Steve,

I realize you have some philosophical issues with Nicehash however there is nothing illegal about purchasing hashpower from them. Moreover, my biggest issue is that you advertise Nicehash on your homepage!

In business there is something called optics which transcends terms of service. In this case the optics are really bad. In your previous post you have admitted some culpability in this issue by not having some better checks and balances in place.

My guess is most of us are hobby miners and use this for a little entertainment and pocket change. For some it is food off the table as we could have been mining something else more profitable.

Is it really worth 5k to potentially loose some good long term customers?

I kindly ask that you return the earnings.
Thanks for the response.

The reason we don't offer support for Nicehash miners is because of the repeated instances where Nicehash has taken no action when criminals use their hashrate to commit fraud against exchanges. Besides the ethical reasons, Nicehash does not actually promise, in their terms of service, to deliver the amount of hashrate customers order, which makes troubleshooting support tickets with them impossible.

You're correct that it isn't illegal to purchase hashpower from Nicehash if it is used for legal purposes. Nicehash itself is operating illegally in the United States because they aren't submitting the necessary paperwork to government agencies. Customers, however, can't be held liable for using a service if the provider doesn't support paperwork if they use the hashrate legally.

The front page lists what our earnings are compared to Nicehash's (and other services') earnings. Far from advertising Nicehash, we instead are encouraging people to mine with us by pointing out that Nicehash offers lower earnings.

Unfortunately, we can't afford to ignore the $4,000 because mining is a low-margin business. That amount represents over seven times normal earnings for that period. Remember, we took a large loss by offering customers twice what they would otherwise have earned during those days, which was also far more than any other pool offered. We also offer large rewards to people who notify us of forks through the "notify us of fork" button on the "Explorer" page, and if someone had used the feature, they could have earned hundreds of dollars for doing so.

Most importantly, out of the 92 customers affected, nobody has provided proof that they have actually lost any money as a result of the corrections.

Note that there are some customers who were mining other algorithms at the same time, and who may have been erroneously penalized too much money. Chris is still looking into those reports.

I apologize if the corrections cause you to stop mining here, and if so, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
wickimining

Post by wickimining » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:28 pm

hmmmm.....

Withdraw 2020-02-10:
0.00517108 BTC

Account Balance today:

-0.00503691 BTC
----------------
0.00013417 earned

mined with total 1552,45MH X16Rv2 algo. Rented via MRR Started 2020-02-09 07:03:30 Ended 2020-02-11 09:35:51 Costs 0.00420000 BTC

maybe real hashrate: 1000MH

0.00013417 / 1000 = 0.00000013 BTC per MH via X16Rv2 algo... Are you kidding me?

0.004200000 - 0.00013417 BTC = ~-0.00406000 BTC

so... ...I have lost 0.00400000BTC on your service...
thanks a lot prohashing
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:45 pm

wickimining wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:28 pm hmmmm.....

Withdraw 2020-02-10:
0.00517108 BTC

Account Balance today:

-0.00503691 BTC
----------------
0.00013417 earned

mined with total 1552,45MH X16Rv2 algo. Rented via MRR Started 2020-02-09 07:03:30 Ended 2020-02-11 09:35:51 Costs 0.00420000 BTC

maybe real hashrate: 1000MH

0.00013417 / 1000 = 0.00000013 BTC per MH via X16Rv2 algo... Are you kidding me?

0.004200000 - 0.00013417 BTC = ~-0.00406000 BTC

so... ...I have lost 0.00400000BTC on your service...
thanks a lot prohashing
That seems like a very high rate to pay for x16rv2 hashrate. The going rate listed right now is a fraction of that.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:43 pm

deadlypliers wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:08 pm This post was removed for not providing the customer's username, in line with the "trivially provable information" rule.
If you were the first person to report the issue and nobody submitted a ticket about it before you, then of course you will receive the bonus.

What is your username?

Note: Since it has been more than 16 hours, I edited this post to point out that this claim falls under our "trivially provable" clause in the "Forum rules." That clause mandates that when a strong claim is made about something that can easily be proven, failure to provide that evidence will result in an account ban. The rule was created to ensure that discussion is held to a high standard and that false information is quickly removed. Since your username can easily be used to prove your claim about your miners' behavior, failure to provide it today will result in your account being banned.
Last edited by Steve Sokolowski on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.