Some Questions About What to Put in GUI Miner

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Tardis218

Some Questions About What to Put in GUI Miner

Post by Tardis218 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:45 pm

I recently joined Prohashing and read up on how to mine coins. I decided to use GUI Miner, so I found what to put in the "Host" and "Port" box but I have three questions:

What do I put for my username? Is it just the name I signed up with Prohashing with?

This probably sounds stupid (all of these probably do) but those Prohashing use stratum or not? The Port is a stratum number but I don't see stratum in the host thing you provided.

If I were to add a Password Argument, do I also include my password? If so do I make a space between the two, or not?

Thanks in advanced.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Re: Some Questions About What to Put in GUI Miner

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:26 am

I'm happy to help. Don't worry about the questions seeming "stupid," we all start with the same questions.

We exclusively support the stratum protocol. Some mining software requires you to prefacing the host with "stratum+" but since stratum is the de-facto standard for pools, all mining software I know doesn't require this extra information. Most software only supports the stratum protocol anyway and will not connect to pools with the older, less efficient getwork protocol.

For your miner configuration, the username is the name you signed up on the website. You do not need to specify any password to connect to the pool, but if the software requires one to be entered (and you don't want to use any password arguments), just put something random in the box. You should never enter your password you use to login to the website because the our stratum connections are not encrypted. Besides, there's no need to secure the connection; after all, who would complain if someone else was mining for your account and giving you free money? If you do want to use multiple password arguments, then enter them separated by a space. For example "d=512 c=Litecoin"

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Tardis218

Post by Tardis218 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Chris Sokolowski wrote:I'm happy to help. Don't worry about the questions seeming "stupid," we all start with the same questions.

We exclusively support the stratum protocol. Some mining software requires you to prefacing the host with "stratum+" but since stratum is the de-facto standard for pools, all mining software I know doesn't require this extra information. Most software only supports the stratum protocol anyway and will not connect to pools with the older, less efficient getwork protocol.

For your miner configuration, the username is the name you signed up on the website. You do not need to specify any password to connect to the pool, but if the software requires one to be entered (and you don't want to use any password arguments), just put something random in the box. You should never enter your password you use to login to the website because the our stratum connections are not encrypted. Besides, there's no need to secure the connection; after all, who would complain if someone else was mining for your account and giving you free money? If you do want to use multiple password arguments, then enter them separated by a space. For example "d=512 c=Litecoin"

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks for the reply! But even after I put in all the correct thing (Username: Tardis218 Hosting: prohashing.com Port: 3333, Password: Empty) adn waiting 5 minutes, on the Earning page it still says that no mining has occurred. What did I do wrong?
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:20 am

What hardware are you using? That would help me diagnose the issue.
Tardis218

Post by Tardis218 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:36 am

Chris Sokolowski wrote:What hardware are you using? That would help me diagnose the issue.
Um, Inter Core i5...I think that's what you're asking for? :P (Yeah, I don't have the best hardware. :P)
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 am

Ah, I see - the behavior your are experiencing is because you have a very low hashrate. A CPU like a Core i5 can only get about 40 kH/s. At our initial difficulty of 1024, you will average over 10 minutes per share. Our site assumes that if you don't submit any shares for 5 minutes, then your hashrate is zero. Look at the shares table on your earnings to make sure that you see shares in it, and if you do, then your miner is working, albeit very slowly.

Honestly, it's not worth mining scrypt with a CPU; you will spend more for electricity than you will earn. Even graphics cards (GPUs) have been superseded by dedicated scrypt mining boxes (ASICs). I suggest that you use your CPU to mine other CPU-only algorithms like Quark, where you can make money, or, if you would like to get into mining scrypt, then buy a scrypt ASIC.
Tardis218

Post by Tardis218 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Chris Sokolowski wrote:Ah, I see - the behavior your are experiencing is because you have a very low hashrate. A CPU like a Core i5 can only get about 40 kH/s. At our initial difficulty of 1024, you will average over 10 minutes per share. Our site assumes that if you don't submit any shares for 5 minutes, then your hashrate is zero. Look at the shares table on your earnings to make sure that you see shares in it, and if you do, then your miner is working, albeit very slowly.

Honestly, it's not worth mining scrypt with a CPU; you will spend more for electricity than you will earn. Even graphics cards (GPUs) have been superseded by dedicated scrypt mining boxes (ASICs). I suggest that you use your CPU to mine other CPU-only algorithms like Quark, where you can make money, or, if you would like to get into mining scrypt, then buy a scrypt ASIC.
Hmm...thanks for the response. I checked the shares table..nothing seems to be there...weird. Anyways, does Prohashing accept mining Quark?
Some1notu

Post by Some1notu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:07 pm

If I were you I'd mine vanity addresses instead. Google around and you'll find people and companies making offers for their vanity address, such as

1Walmart1eVFBaJJ5Z91KobpsQZcJowB4

There are several vanity miners, but vanitygen is the simplest.