ASIC Boost Support for SHA-256

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Count Duku

Re: ASIC Boost Support for SHA-256

Post by Count Duku » Fri May 04, 2018 7:38 am

As far as I know only Slushpool is asicboost/version rolling compatible. And the only ASICs that have that ability are the Halong ASICs.

https://blockchaindpl.org/ Halong mining basically came up with this license agreement that by agreeing to the terms, you could implement the technology. The license is "free", however you have to give up any patents your company has as part of the agreement. Not sure how enforceable that would be.

I think there is no publicly available info on how to utilize it because it is a patented technology and very new. I suppose reaching out to Halong mining would be your best bet. Even though Slushpool is massive, I am sure Halong Mining would like to expand their technology to other pools.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri May 04, 2018 8:39 am

Count Duku wrote:As far as I know only Slushpool is asicboost/version rolling compatible. And the only ASICs that have that ability are the Halong ASICs.

https://blockchaindpl.org/ Halong mining basically came up with this license agreement that by agreeing to the terms, you could implement the technology. The license is "free", however you have to give up any patents your company has as part of the agreement. Not sure how enforceable that would be.

I think there is no publicly available info on how to utilize it because it is a patented technology and very new. I suppose reaching out to Halong mining would be your best bet. Even though Slushpool is massive, I am sure Halong Mining would like to expand their technology to other pools.
I guess it can't hurt to send them an E-Mail. However, since this would only be useful on Bitcoin Cash, and since only one manufacturer supports it, I doubt the profit potential is very high.

I know 100% that we aren't going to sign any contracts to gain access to this technology. I suspect that if one had to choose between mining straight Bitcoin Cash with ASICBOOST and mining with us, they could still make more mining here because we switch to more profitable coins.
Count Duku

Post by Count Duku » Fri May 04, 2018 10:59 am

It would be useful on Bitcoin as well. Slushpool doesn't support Bitcoin Cash mining. I imagine it would be useful for all SHA-256 coins.
gnosis

Post by gnosis » Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Has anyone been able to connect a Halong T1 to prohashing? My attempts have so far failed.

URL: stratum+tcp://prohashing.com:3333
Worker: myworkername
Password: a=sha-256

Note, the Halong interface will not accept the URL w/o the prefix "stratum+tcp://". On Bitmain ASICS the prefix is optional

this connection shows up as "Dead"
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon May 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Count Duku wrote:It would be useful on Bitcoin as well. Slushpool doesn't support Bitcoin Cash mining. I imagine it would be useful for all SHA-256 coins.
My understanding is that one of the reasons why the Core developers hate Jihan Wu so much is that they think he wants to take over SHA-256 mining with ASICBOOST. It's not compatible with Segregated Witness, and removing Wu's advantage on Bitcoin was one of the reasons they pushed SegWit.
Count Duku

Post by Count Duku » Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote: My understanding is that one of the reasons why the Core developers hate Jihan Wu so much is that they think he wants to take over SHA-256 mining with ASICBOOST. It's not compatible with Segregated Witness, and removing Wu's advantage on Bitcoin was one of the reasons they pushed SegWit.
There are currently 2 types of ASICBOOST. Covert ASICBOOST was patented by Bitmain and from what I remember is undetectable. We only know about it because Bitmain filed for the patent. Halong uses Overt ASICBOOST which is a different method and is apparently detectable. Halong patented their "overt" asicboost but they essentially made the technology available for the public unlike Bitmain who was selfishly keeping it for themselves.

Another reason to push segwit is that apparently segwit allows BTC to be on the lightning network.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:59 am

Count Duku wrote:It would be useful on Bitcoin as well. Slushpool doesn't support Bitcoin Cash mining. I imagine it would be useful for all SHA-256 coins.
Do you own one of the miners that implements ASICBOOST? I'm trying to find one to test with.
djliss

Post by djliss » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:46 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
Do you own one of the miners that implements ASICBOOST? I'm trying to find one to test with.
I have 2 Antminer V9 if they support it.