Solo Mining - what are the pitfalls?

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
slim6y

Solo Mining - what are the pitfalls?

Post by slim6y » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am

I am using a gaming laptop for mining with a 1060 onboard. Could I use the "m=solo" parameter with this set up and still make a profit?

Secondly, in doing so, does the "c=" parameter need a coin or can it be "c=" with nothing following?

"The "c=" parameter must be present to use "m=solo." If c= is not present or if the specified coin does not exist, then this argument will be ignored. If the target coin is not enabled for payouts or is in error, the worker will be disconnected so that it can fail over to a backup pool."

If so, how do you choose which to mine solo? For example, currently the equihash coin of choice is zen and zcash. So would it be ideal to continue with zen or zcash?
CSZiggy

Re: Solo Mining - what are the pitfalls?

Post by CSZiggy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm

slim6y wrote:I am using a gaming laptop for mining with a 1060 onboard. Could I use the "m=solo" parameter with this set up and still make a profit?

Secondly, in doing so, does the "c=" parameter need a coin or can it be "c=" with nothing following?
"The "c=" parameter must be present to use "m=solo." If c= is not present or if the specified coin does not exist, then this argument will be ignored. If the target coin is not enabled for payouts or is in error, the worker will be disconnected so that it can fail over to a backup pool."
If so, how do you choose which to mine solo? For example, currently the equihash coin of choice is zen and zcash. So would it be ideal to continue with zen or zcash?
Profit will depend on how much electricity costs for you to run your machine. Plugging it into work and running it there all day might be free electricity vs. at home where you flip the bill and it eats into the profits. Also be aware, LAPTOPS are computers that aren't really meant to be running all the time. If you connect it up with power and internet and plug it in and set it on a shelf to run 24-7 don't be too surprised if you need to buy a new one in a year or so...so make sure you are also adding in the price for a replacement video card or laptop or CPU if you plan to run them full tilt all the time to your profit margin.

Yes, you need to specify a single coin if you with to solo mine.
If you specify c=sexcoin and sexcoin goes into error mode, you will be kicked to a backup pool.
The choosing of the coin to mine is all you. There is no rhyme or reason, but to make sure you are always mining the most productive coin you will have to sit on it and every 10 mins swap it to the newest highest coin up there to make sure you are always working the best coin...or can go into auto mode and have the system pick the best coin each time it changes, but thats PPS not solo mode.

Good luck!
mycide

Post by mycide » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm

I have not even read the posts after mining with my laptop, dont do that if you dont fancy buying or repairing the one you have, even if its agaming laptop long sessions maxing the gpu out in a laptop case, like begging for it to break, if u insist using ur laptop as mining rig then break open the case and add cooling..

a notebook 1060 solo, no its not going to give you anything really. my tip is to get a decent motherboard with several pcie and get som real gpu's start with one card if necessary, and once it payed off get more. Difficulty is increasing over all coins so the time you had pickers laying on the surface thats over. you have to get real mining gear, or be lucky with some upcoming new coin and mine that the first few weeks of its existance.
Running rigs: KNC Titan, Antminer D3 & L3+'s
slim6y

Post by slim6y » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks for your help. I am getting a motherboard hopefully tomorrow and will play around with making a set up. Appreciated.