Enable Fixed Time Zones

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
vaultminer

Enable Fixed Time Zones

Post by vaultminer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 am

I have noticed that the "Account Activity" section uses the user's timezone for the dates it displays. However, I would like to be able to set a fixed time zone.

I use the Account Activity section for profit monitoring and accounting/records, but I often check prohashing from different time zones (Eastern and Central). Because of this, in order to keep my records consistent, I must make sure to change my computer's time zone to a common one, regardless of what city I am in.

This is terribly annoying, but it seems like it should be an easy fix!

Edit:
Alternatively, you could just standardize the time zone for everyone. UTC would be a good choice. This is what Litecoinpool does.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Enable Fixed Time Zones

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:27 am

vaultminer wrote:I have noticed that the "Account Activity" section uses the user's timezone for the dates it displays. However, I would like to be able to set a fixed time zone.

I use the Account Activity section for profit monitoring and accounting/records, but I often check prohashing from different time zones (Eastern and Central). Because of this, in order to keep my records consistent, I must make sure to change my computer's time zone to a common one, regardless of what city I am in.

This is terribly annoying, but it seems like it should be an easy fix!

Edit:
Alternatively, you could just standardize the time zone for everyone. UTC would be a good choice. This is what Litecoinpool does.
Unfortunately, we can't use UTC, because the aggregate balance tables in the database that track running balances are stored in Eastern time. It takes too much CPU power to run queries to figure out the balances in other time zones because every share would have to be counted individually.

The dates in the "account activity" column, however, are always listed in Eastern time, regardless of the timezone of the client, so what you asked for is there, just not in UTC.
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:Unfortunately, we can't use UTC, because the aggregate balance tables in the database that track running balances are stored in Eastern time. It takes too much CPU power to run queries to figure out the balances in other time zones because every share would have to be counted individually.

The dates in the "account activity" column, however, are always listed in Eastern time, regardless of the timezone of the client, so what you asked for is there, just not in UTC.

"because every share would have to be counted individually." just curious...are you NOT counting each share we produce now?
Isn't that how we get paid, based on the number of shares we mine, then that gets converted to a payout?

I'm lost how having a seperate timezone or using UTC affects the queries run or the tables information.
You mean the website can't hold my setting that I am 3 hours ahead of US time and just add 3 hours to the times displayed on my web interface? I thought you guys hired a new web interface person to fix those type of issues. They cant alter the hour times being displayed from the query tables on the website based on a user-set number each user selects? I've been to a ton of vanilla websites that allow you to select your timezone and then alter all the information on the site to reflect the timezone you selected.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 am

CSZiggy wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:Unfortunately, we can't use UTC, because the aggregate balance tables in the database that track running balances are stored in Eastern time. It takes too much CPU power to run queries to figure out the balances in other time zones because every share would have to be counted individually.

"because every share would have to be counted individually." just curious...are you NOT counting each share we produce now?
Isn't that how we get paid, based on the number of shares we mine, then that gets converted to a payout?

I'm lost how having a seperate timezone or using UTC affects the queries run or the tables information.
You mean the website can't hold my setting that I am 3 hours ahead of US time and just add 3 hours to the times displayed on my web interface? I thought you guys hired a new web interface person to fix those type of issues. They cant alter the hour times being displayed from the query tables on the website based on a user-set number each user selects? I've been to a ton of vanilla websites that allow you to select your timezone and then alter all the information on the site to reflect the timezone you selected.
Every share is computed and then added to the aggregate tables. We had to choose a set period of time for this aggregate data, and midnight to midnight Eastern time makes math easiest.

The full data for one in 20 shares is stored permanently. That way, if there were ever found a bug that caused the daily balance tables to be inaccurate, approximate balances can be reconstructed by iterating over the billions of shares and multiplying by 20. We only store one out of every 20 shares, selected at random, in full data format, because we don't have enough bandwidth to back up the database at a rate of more than 1 in 20. If we stored every share, we'd need something like 75Mbps upload just for backups.

Because we don't store every share, we can't run queries to compute exact balances between any arbitrary start and end time. The issue with displaying balances is not a timezone issue; it's related to the steps we need to take to conserve bandwidth.
vaultminer

Post by vaultminer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:40 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
Unfortunately, we can't use UTC, because the aggregate balance tables in the database that track running balances are stored in Eastern time. It takes too much CPU power to run queries to figure out the balances in other time zones because every share would have to be counted individually.

I would be fine with that if it worked, but it clearly doesn't. Please see these pictures for an explanation:

When I have my computer's time zone set to Eastern, these are the dates it shows:

When I have my computer's time zone set to Central, these are the dates it shows:

Do you see the problem I am having now?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:29 am

vaultminer wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:

I would be fine with that if it worked, but it clearly doesn't. Please see these pictures for an explanation:

When I have my computer's time zone set to Eastern, these are the dates it shows:

When I have my computer's time zone set to Central, these are the dates it shows:

Do you see the problem I am having now?
Thanks for this report. This is a known issue, which has already been fixed, but not yet deployed. It had apparently been present since the system's creation, and may have been responsible for many of the numerous tickets we received about payouts seemingly not processing within 24 hours. It's possible that the reason some customers reported their payouts weren't arriving was because these dates made it seem as if they had earned the money the previous day.

The changes will be available in the next release.
vaultminer

Post by vaultminer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:10 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote:
Thanks for this report. This is a known issue, which has already been fixed, but not yet deployed. It had apparently been present since the system's creation, and may have been responsible for many of the numerous tickets we received about payouts seemingly not processing within 24 hours. It's possible that the reason some customers reported their payouts weren't arriving was because these dates made it seem as if they had earned the money the previous day.

Awesome. What is the ETA of the next release?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:30 am

vaultminer wrote:
Steve Sokolowski wrote:

Awesome. What is the ETA of the next release?
We're hoping to do that sometime this week.