Why does my miner always mine 10th most profitable coin?

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
cryptobear

Why does my miner always mine 10th most profitable coin?

Post by cryptobear » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:24 am

I thought that merged mining with auto algorithm switching was supposed to have miners switch to the most profitable coin.

Why is my miner always mining the 10th or less most profitable coin according to the charts page?

It is usually mining Litecoin which is from what I've seen generally around 10th or less on the most profitable chart.

Are the other coins just too volatile? How does the system calculate which coin each miner should mine?

I am mostly asking for educational purposes so that I can better understand how it all works.
spauk

Re: Why does my miner always mine 10th most profitable coin?

Post by spauk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:17 am

when i'm watching my slower miners when they switch to a lower difficulty coin, a lot of the time they don't get a share, but other miners are finding blocks, so i guess every time the other miners find a block i get a work restart. i'm not an expert on their profit switching algorithm, but i'm guessing this has something to do with work restarts. either that or it's not working properly because people are manually selecting those most profitable coins and the autoswitch miners aren't getting in because of how much hashrate is already on the coin.
JiveTonto

Post by JiveTonto » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:16 am

if using default setitngs i'd imange its picking the most suitable coin based on

:current miner difficulty
:current coin difficulty
:miner restart delay

ultimilaty its the size of shares and how quickly your miner is submitting them, a lower hashratecoin would like a lower miner difficulty (small share size) matched with a quick restart delay depending on expected block time

Ive noticed the top 10 coins at the time of this post all seem to be low block time,low reward,low difficulty coins.........so if you wanted to mine them youd set a lower difficulty and depending on your miner change a few more settings (scan time/expiry ect)
AppleMiner

Post by AppleMiner » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:48 am

There is no way to stop solo mining. People can always go off and solo mine all on their own.
So it is not discouraged on the pool, and is welcomed. Not all pools allow solo mining, much less solo with merged mining on top of that.

When the system goes to pick a coin it knows not to over hash the coin or it will go into error and leave the network for the next 30 mins...or we will force the diff to rise so much the next adjustment the coin till be worthless to mine for the next cycle...i.e. we just made a coin half as valuable if it pops up and down throughout the day. The system already knows how much raw solo mining power is on each coin. If there is wiggle room it fits in some of the autopool picking miners to add to the hash power on a coin. BUT if there is already too much or over hashing being done on a coin, it will not get picked for the pool to mine.

There are some other factors also...when you are looking at the CHARTS page down at the bottom...look for the radiant lines on the coins that represent where the POOL's autoswitching power is at.
cryptobear

Post by cryptobear » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:23 am

Thank you for the replies. That gives me a lot to think about.
Aura89

Post by Aura89 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:10 pm

AKA: Don't worry about what your miner is mining on the autopool.
spauk

Post by spauk » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 pm

yea it doesn't really matter what you're mining on PPS, auto profit switching usually gets it right. i was disappointed with only ltc mining, but if that's the most profitable at the time then that's what we should mine