Does prohash have a backup pool?

Encounter a problem related to the pool or have a request for a feature? Post your issue here and we will help you out.
Forum rules
Welcome to the System Support forum! Encounter a problem related to the pool? Post your issue here and we will help you out.

Keep in mind that the forums are monitored by PROHASHING less closely than the official support channels, so if you have a pressing issue, please submit an official support ticket so that our Support Analyst can look into your issue in a timely manner.

We cannot answer financial questions related to your account on a public forum, so those questions should always be submitted through the orange Support button on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
waynesworld

Does prohash have a backup pool?

Post by waynesworld » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:20 am

I dont like my other backup pools and make less there... I know how to set things up when I have the details.. Could someone link me to that info if the backup pool exists?

I assume with what they generate per day they would have one. I have had 5 days prohash go out and I havent even mined 2 weeks here
GregoryGHarding

Re: Does prohash have a backup pool?

Post by GregoryGHarding » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:15 pm

no, you are responsible for configuring a backup pool on your miners for when prohashing may go offline
coinzcoinzcoinz

Post by coinzcoinzcoinz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Greg, that may be but any professional company should have business continuity plans and have automatic failovers configured. I understand that Steve is trying his best so Ill give him a chance but for this place to grow and expand these things seriously need to considered otherwise a competitor will come along and do just that, taking away business.

The name "Prohash" should mean what it stands for. It seems to be the only reason people are sticking around is because of the higher profits and benefits compared to a singular pool. If a competitor comes about and does the same but has a more reliable service then you know where people will go.

I will also offer my network adminstrator skills FOC on a ad hoc basis if such a request arises from the owners / admins of this site.
lemarc723

Post by lemarc723 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm

coinzcoinzcoinz wrote:Greg, that may be but any professional company should have business continuity plans and have automatic failovers configured. I understand that Steve is trying his best so Ill give him a chance but for this place to grow and expand these things seriously need to considered otherwise a competitor will come along and do just that, taking away business.

The name "Prohash" should mean what it stands for. It seems to be the only reason people are sticking around is because of the higher profits and benefits compared to a singular pool. If a competitor comes about and does the same but has a more reliable service then you know where people will go.
Last I checked there were over 9000 workers on this pool today...

As far as I know, no one has a service contract with Prohash - there's no agreed upon SLA. I'm not paying them one thin coin to keep the pool open, or provide me with a backup source, are you? If not, why all misplaced lecturing?
coinzcoinzcoinz

Post by coinzcoinzcoinz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Sorry I dont know what you mean by "one thin coin"?

I wouldnt call it misplaced lecturing but make of it what you will, I have offered to assist where I can if they want it.

I am used to designing systems from the ground up with failovers in place, correct me if I am wrong but the earning by miners today is over $124,000. 5% of that is $6200. Thats in a day, they should be able to easily afford such infrastructure. And if that $124,000 figure is after they have taken the 5% cut then they are earning even more than my figures.

"Total miner earnings

Total miner earnings shows the US dollar equivalent of all coins earned by Prohashing users over one day. Use the range selector at the bottom to pick a range of dates to view. This value represents how much was earned during a day, not how much was paid out that day, since payouts can occur on subsequent days."

Plus its a disservice to customers and we are paying customers regardless of SLA or not, to simply say its your problem deal with it.
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:30 pm

if ph is down.. backups from ph will be down. if the pool goes down. have a separate service domain in pool 2 slot. end of story.
coinzcoinzcoinz

Post by coinzcoinzcoinz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Ffs seriously if the pool goes down then the back up will be down? No thats not how it works, the back up is a completely seperate entity, a perfect clone of the production system, on the other side of the country / planet (whatever) ready to take the load when the primarly fails. This backup pool would have a completely seperate domain and would go in slot 2 on the antminers, same system, different subdomained site maybe, differen pool domain and geo location. Thats one scenario out a of few.

Edit: Ok I realise im making a bigger deal out of it than I need to, sorry about that. Ill leave it up still because even though its not necessary for any mining pool to do what I mentioned, in my opinion it is what brings real business competitive professionalism to a company.
Last edited by coinzcoinzcoinz on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregoryGHarding

Post by GregoryGHarding » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 pm

theres no capital to invest in such systems when its as simple as switching to your own choice of backup pool. this is a non issue and youre arguing it for the sake or arguing.
coinzcoinzcoinz

Post by coinzcoinzcoinz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Yep I also realized I am arguing for no real reason. Sorry.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:13 pm

This is the sort of thing that we could examine if we decide upon expansion. But this isn't something that's easy and cheap - I'm guessing a cost of $50,000/yr to have a system like this.

Not only do we need duplicate hardware, but we need to have it under our control at a separate location, and someone needs to be out to maintain it, and there is an expected value of hacking risk because there are now two copies of the private keys. The database would need to have instant replication, which now means the primary server has to have more cores to do its existing work and also replicate, and change addresses need to copy over to the wallets on the backup system.