Reminder: Major system maintenence on October 21

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Reminder: Major system maintenence on October 21

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:58 am

This is a reminder that, as announced a week ago, our biannual major system maintenance will occur on October 21, 2021. This maintenance has typically been performed around Thanksgiving every other year, with the last time being May 15, 2020. This maintenance follows up on the WAMP server and live data upgrades, which increased live data capacity from 2 to 20 cores and which were completed successfully last week.

The goals for this maintenance are the following:
  • Comcast will be reconfiguring its upstream routers and replacing equipment so that our Enterprise Dedicated Internet (EDI) connection will be eight times faster - 2Gbps symmetric, up from the current 500Mbps.
  • We will upgrade from PostgreSQL 13 to 14.
  • We will increase the number of mining servers from 9 to 17.
  • Chris will modify the configuration of virtual machines to use memory closer to the processors, increasing CPU performance by 10%.
  • Chris will reboot several servers that have critical operating system security updates pending a reboot.
We expect the downtime to begin around 11:00am EDT. All services will be offline for the initial period, and then come online one by one, with mining being the last to return. Since we have never had an ISP perform an upgrade like this before, we can't provide an estimate on how long the downtime will be.
arkansasguy

Re: Reminder: Major system maintenence on October 21

Post by arkansasguy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:20 pm

It’d be nice if there could be like a general timeframe for being down? Like 2-4 hours, 4-6 hours, etc. It could save me some electricity by knowing how long to shut my miners down…Nothing at all huh?
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:52 pm

arkansasguy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:20 pm It’d be nice if there could be like a general timeframe for being down? Like 2-4 hours, 4-6 hours, etc. It could save me some electricity by knowing how long to shut my miners down…Nothing at all huh?
We do generally try to give you a timeframe when possible. We're sorry for the inconvenience, but this time, as Steve said, we don't have previous experience with this particular type of upgrade to base a timeframe estimate on.
Setvin

Post by Setvin » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:02 pm

Thank's for the heads up I will give you guys time to take care of it. I wanted to experiment with a few algos, so will do that after midnight tonight.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:08 pm

If I had to guess, the most likely amount of time will be about an hour. But we have no idea, so it could be 15 minutes or could be 3 hours.
24kaltcoin

Post by 24kaltcoin » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:46 pm

Will you post an all clear message on the main page? I will most likely be shutting my equipment down at 11 EDT until you have completed, but if you either send a notice or post a notice I can fire up my gear if I see you are done

thanks!
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:39 am

24kaltcoin wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:46 pm Will you post an all clear message on the main page? I will most likely be shutting my equipment down at 11 EDT until you have completed, but if you either send a notice or post a notice I can fire up my gear if I see you are done

thanks!
The message will disappear when the system comes back online.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:40 am

Comcast arrived two hours ahead of schedule, so we will start as soon as possible. Be prepared for the maintenance to start before 11:00, if it does.
Mastermind007

Post by Mastermind007 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:42 am

Comcast showing up ahead of schedule, well that's a first. :lol:
Alynn

Post by Alynn » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:13 am

Mastermind007 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:42 am Comcast showing up ahead of schedule, well that's a first. :lol:
Or at all :P