Greetings to the Prohashing Community!

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Sarah Manter

Greetings to the Prohashing Community!

Post by Sarah Manter » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:24 pm

Hello! I'm excited to have joined the Prohashing team this week as Digital Marker! You should see me bouncing around the forums and Prohashing's social media. I'm eager to help support you when possible, but I'm also looking forward to learning from you, since we already have such a wide range of knowledge and experience gathered here supporting each other.

Which Prohashing forum have you found most useful so far? Is there one that you would like to see started?
BMChris

Re: Greetings to the Prohashing Community!

Post by BMChris » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Hi and Welcome! :)

One thing I've noticed on this forum since joining in May is that people tend to use the instant chat at the top a lot more than the actual topics. I think it works quite well as you can get simple questions answered very quickly and it serves as an off-topic discussion where you can have a bit of a laugh.
Murr808

Post by Murr808 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Welcome to the team Sarah! I have not really used the forums much since joining a couple months ago. I mostly just use the chatbox for asking general questions.
Banished_Privateer

Post by Banished_Privateer » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:48 am

Heya, I'm mostly waiting for Steve or Vance to update the phpBB. Current one is outdated and it browsing the forums feels like back in 2010.

Update phpBB 3.2 by MrGaby

phpBB 3.3.0 was built upon 3.2 "Rhea" and it's a big step towards a more modern base while maintaining a clear update path. Since 2021 with 3.3.3 version, phpBB supports PHP 8 & MySQL 8.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:11 am

Banished_Privateer wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:48 am Heya, I'm mostly waiting for Steve or Vance to update the phpBB. Current one is outdated and it browsing the forums feels like back in 2010.

Update phpBB 3.2 by MrGaby

phpBB 3.3.0 was built upon 3.2 "Rhea" and it's a big step towards a more modern base while maintaining a clear update path. Since 2021 with 3.3.3 version, phpBB supports PHP 8 & MySQL 8.
Unfortunately, this task is extremely complicated. There are a few issues:
  • There are other programs on the webserver that depend on PHP 5.4, so we can't upgrade phpBB.
  • The templates that display hashrate are customized.
  • We want to integrate the main system's usernames and passwords with this upgrade so that forum accounts are no longer different from the main accounts.
We definitely want to do the upgrade, but it's a project that will take some time, and realistically won't be able to be started by Chris until these employees are trained (and perhaps even after the next set of employees is trained, too.) Training is the big limiting factor in almost everything we're doing right now.

That said, I agree with you that the forums need to be upgraded, and am also frustrated that we haven't done it in a long time.
tucsondirect

Post by tucsondirect » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:01 am

Steve Sokolowski wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:11 am

[*] We want to integrate the main system's usernames and passwords with this upgrade so that forum accounts are no longer different from the main accounts.

PLEASE do not do this... or make it optional at least.. some of us prefer some separation for security and privacy reasons ...
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:59 am

BMChris wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 pm Hi and Welcome! :)

One thing I've noticed on this forum since joining in May is that people tend to use the instant chat at the top a lot more than the actual topics. I think it works quite well as you can get simple questions answered very quickly and it serves as an off-topic discussion where you can have a bit of a laugh.
Thank you! It's good to know where I should be focusing more of my attention. :)
Sarah Manter

Post by Sarah Manter » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:00 am

Murr808 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:55 pm Welcome to the team Sarah! I have not really used the forums much since joining a couple months ago. I mostly just use the chatbox for asking general questions.

Thanks! It seems you are not alone in that. Are you generally getting the answers you need?
Alynn

Post by Alynn » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:16 pm

The issue about the text box is that should be for less verbose topics. If you have a quick question with a quick answer, then sure. But if you are trying to write out paragraphs the forums are much better.

I'd say something like, 500 characters or less for the chat.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:27 pm

tucsondirect wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:01 am
Steve Sokolowski wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:11 am

[*] We want to integrate the main system's usernames and passwords with this upgrade so that forum accounts are no longer different from the main accounts.

PLEASE do not do this... or make it optional at least.. some of us prefer some separation for security and privacy reasons ...
If this is considered, it will be done later with input from forum members. Right now, we're going to integrate the support ticketing system and the website as soon as possible, to reduce the number of usernames and passwords and to be able to discuss sensitive information with identity verification.