What to do if you can't access the website

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

What to do if you can't access the website

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 am

This post describes what to do if you can't access the website. You may have been directed here through a link in a support ticket or elsewhere in the forums.

Invalid captchas

For several months, for an unknown reason, about 1.2 million IP addresses sent login requests to Prohashing with random usernames and passwords. However, because Prohashing requires a captcha when a customer attempts to login without visiting the website first, all of the login attempts failed and no money was stolen. Even if a login attempt had been successful, the customer would have been notified by E-Mail that his or her payout addresses had been changed.

Most likely, a criminal paid money to a "botnet" operator, believing that (s)he could successfully hack Prohashing accounts through this automated method, but failed to realize that the captcha system would protect accounts. The criminals simply wasted a lot of money.

IP bans

While there was never any danger of money being lost, there have been about 1.2 billion requests, and processing so many requests caused high server load. To reduce load, Prohashing ignores network packets originating from IP addresses that repeatedly fail captcha requests. Simply mistyping your password will not result in a ban.

A common result of this ban method is that a home or office network will be banned, but a cell phone will still be able to access the site.

IP bans are only effective for access to the website, and not to any of Prohashing's other services, so customers can still submit support tickets and comment on the forums. If you are also unable to access any of Prohashing's services other than the website, then you have a different issue and you should submit a support ticket to start an investigation into that issue.

How this affects you

If you receive a "connection timed out" message while attempting to connect to Prohashing's website, then it is likely that your IP address was banned. The cause of the ban is that a computer using the IP address is infected with malware. Criminals are using the infected computer to steal credit card numbers, bitcoins, and identity information from Prohashing and other sites.

You need to take immediate action to clear the malware from your network. Otherwise, if it turns out that your computers are used to commit a crime, your ISP could terminate service to you, or the police could involve you in an investigation. It is very likely that the malware is not only sending bad requests to Prohashing, but also to hundreds of other websites simultaneously. The malware could also do things to your own computers, like delete data, or encrypt files and demand bitcoins in exchange for the decryption key.

Malware is also known to search for cryptocurrency wallet keys on local networks, and to modify system clipboards to paste different destination addresses.

How to find the malware

If your computer is connected directly to the ISP's router, like a single computer plugged directly into a cable modem using an Ethernet cable, then the infection source is your own computer. Scan the computer with a virus scanner, upgrade the operating system to the latest version with all updates, and reboot the computer.

If your have installed a router behind the ISP's router, then that router could be infected, or any device behind it could be infected. You need to scan every computer, tablet, and phone that has used the router for viruses, and upgrade all of them to the latest version of their operating systems. You should install the latest Windows updates, or the equivalent for Macs, on your devices, and then reboot all of them.

However, the most likely location for the malware is in surveillance cameras, lightbulbs, and the router itself. Upgrade all of these devices to the latest firmware. Additionally, check that the default password is not in use on any of these devices. Some routers, for example, have web interfaces that have a default password of "root," which hackers easily guess. Change the default password, upgrade the firmware, and reboot.

You must reboot all devices after upgrading them so that infections already in memory are removed.

What to do in offices

If you are trying to access Prohashing's website from an office, and the office's IP address is banned, then you should notify your supervisor that a device in the office is infected.

After detecting the infection

After you've determined the source of the infection, submit a support ticket to Prohashing and Chris will remove the ban from the website.

You must determine the cause of the infection before Chris can remove the ban because if you do not, the infected computer will continue to overload the website with requests. To provide great service to other customers, we need to reduce load on the website as low as possible. Chris is willing to work with you if your IP address is banned a second time to continue the research into which computer is infected.

Conclusion

Thanks for your understanding in helping us protect Prohashing's services, and feel free to submit a support ticket if you have specific questions about malware issues.
TheSBG

Re: What to do if you can't access the website

Post by TheSBG » Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Now I can’t even get to the website from my mobile phone to submit a ticket. There’s no malware anywhere on my home network or mobile. I don’t get it. Do I need to go to a different place to mine?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed May 05, 2021 5:34 pm

TheSBG wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm Now I can’t even get to the website from my mobile phone to submit a ticket. There’s no malware anywhere on my home network or mobile. I don’t get it. Do I need to go to a different place to mine?
We're not aware of any widespread issues, so we'll need to start an investigation into your specific circumstance. Please submit a support ticket and we'll be glad to get started.
Mikaa83

Post by Mikaa83 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:14 am

Me too, it s possible to help me ?
Nayrb69

Post by Nayrb69 » Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 am

Hi Steve,
I am also getting the same issue as a lot of other people. I believe my ISP might be on the banned list as I can connect to Prohashing when I use my VPN.
Regards
Bryan
Too old to rock! Too young to die!! :ugeek:
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 am

Nayrb69 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 am Hi Steve,
I am also getting the same issue as a lot of other people. I believe my ISP might be on the banned list as I can connect to Prohashing when I use my VPN.
Regards
Bryan
The banlist does not include entire ISPs, so that can't be the cause.

While there have been a number of connectivity issues reported, we are not aware of any widespread errors in the botnet detection algorithm, and most of the reported issues are actually being caused by different problems, not what is referred to in this original post. We'll be glad to assist you if you submit a support ticket and include your username and IP address.
Tireless

Post by Tireless » Thu May 06, 2021 4:46 pm

These guys have been avoiding to pay me out. They're doing it on purpose because I had a ticket for two days and both steve's know this. But they're here answering questions. I would advice everyone to go to a different site to mine. I think they are trying to 30 day everyone by blocking IP's and bullshiting about incorrect info
Tireless

Post by Tireless » Thu May 06, 2021 4:51 pm

It's these guys trying to cover thier asses for future selling and using of our information. There's no virus or malware. They are getting ready to steal our information and block customers for 30 days to forfeit your money from mining with them. Go to litecoinpool .org they payout every 6 hours
Alynn

Post by Alynn » Thu May 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Doubtful, I've been here for months and don't have any of the issues you describe. I've had very little if no downtime that I didn't do myself. Any ticket I've submitted has been actioned in a timely manner.
Tireless

Post by Tireless » Thu May 06, 2021 6:45 pm

Oh yeah? Explain this email I got from Chris two days ago

Christopher Sokolowski commented:

Hi -------

Thanks for the submission. I have verified the information and have removed the hold from your account. Any pending payments will be sent at the next payout time..

Thanks for mining with us!

Sincerely,

-Chris Sokolowski