Ethash mining changes now available

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Ethash mining changes now available

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:15 pm

We're pleased to announce that the ethash mining changes, which we announced last week, have just been released.

The changes were created in response to customers who pointed out that because not all miners can mine all ethash coins anymore, due to vastly differing DAG sizes, miners who owned more capable graphics cards saw their profitability pulled down by miners who own less capable cards. We wanted to create a fairer algorithm so that all miners were compensated commensurate with their cards' computing power.

Now, there are two ethash algorithms: "ethash" and "Ethash-LowMemory." The second algorithm consists of coins that require DAG sizes of 4GB or less. The first algorithm contains coins with DAG sizes greater than 4GB. If you have a GPU with more than 4GB of memory, you can mine either algorithm, but miners with GPUs containing less memory won't be able to mine the "ethash" algorithm.

If you have a GPU with less memory and you started to encounter errors while mining, you can change to the "Ethash-LowMemory" algorithm to continue mining. Miners with more memory can mine the "ethash" algorithm, whose profitability is higher than it was before this change.

Feel free to submit a support ticket if you have any questions!
DennYoDeluxe

Re: Ethash mining changes now available

Post by DennYoDeluxe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:20 pm

stratum+tcp://eu.prohashing.com:3358
Password a=ethash-lowmemory

Question: Is then "l=x" option not needed anymore?
Ladylikelace

Post by Ladylikelace » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:13 pm

What about E3 antminer? Can I used?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:39 pm

You can use the E3 on the "ethash-lowmemory" algorithm, as that algorithm is designed for less than 4GB of RAM. You should still use "l=," because it can perform further optimization even within the two algorithms. The main difference from before is that the "ethash" algorithm no longer allows low memory miners.
fjoe

Post by fjoe » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi Steve,
I have a rig with six 4gb cards. So far I could mine ethash with around 15USD/day income (170mh). But after tha ethash mining change I can mine with ethash-lowmemory just around 4USD/day. Is there any system issues or is that all I can mine really with this method? Because the difference between the two amounts is too big.
gonzochaos

Post by gonzochaos » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:15 pm

UPDATE: looks like it is back up and running now

Hello, I see that both algorithms should be active but i have lost connection with Ethash, the original and cannot seem to connect.. when i go to worker configuration page there is not port number listed. When will this be back up?

Thank you in advance
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:35 am

gonzochaos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:15 pm UPDATE: looks like it is back up and running now

Hello, I see that both algorithms should be active but i have lost connection with Ethash, the original and cannot seem to connect.. when i go to worker configuration page there is not port number listed. When will this be back up?

Thank you in advance
We're not aware of any port changes. The port for ethash is 3339, and the algorithm has an all-time high for hashrate at the moment. On which page are you not seeing a port number listed?
Steven Godshall

Post by Steven Godshall » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:20 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:35 am
gonzochaos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:15 pm UPDATE: looks like it is back up and running now

Thank you in advance
We're not aware of any port changes. The port for ethash is 3339, and the algorithm has an all-time high for hashrate at the moment. On which page are you not seeing a port number listed?
This was due to the ~15 minutes that Ethereum was offline for the Berlin Fork update yesterday.
animatenate

Post by animatenate » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:18 am

Using gminer2.54 on win10 I'm getting "invalid algorithm: Ethash-LowMemory" when trying to connect. Should I be using different software to mine eth-lowmemory? The standard Ethash algo is working fine for me.

EDIT: I saw another user that entered "ethash-lowmemory" as the algorithm as well as the "a=" password. Changed algo to "ethash" and it's fixed. Description on the site should clarify these are different so people don't get them confused. ;)