Missing shares on January 5

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Missing shares on January 5

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi everyone.

This evening, a mining server error occurred. At 19:25:31, the mining server attempted to insert a share into the database where a coin had a weight of greater than 1. This triggered a check constraint in the database, preventing the inserting of more shares. The system entered a deadlock as the mining server repeatedly attempted to insert this invalid share and the database kept rejecting it. At the same time, the mining server still had miners connected and still was queueing subsequent shares.

I discovered the issue at around 22:50, and I attempted to relax the check constraint on the database to see the exact share so I could debug the issue. However, that effort didn't fix anything and the mining server locked up. I was forced to kill the stratum server and lose all the queued shares.

We are working to diagnose the cause of the issue to ensure it does not lock the database again. In the meantime, I will be increasing everyone's balances to account for the lost mining time. I will provide more details on this once I write the queries to adjust the database.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Re: Missing shares on January 5

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:49 am

I determined that the server recorded no shares from 19:25:31 to 23:29:23, or 14632 seconds. This was just about 17% of the mining time of the entire day. To increase the balances to represent the entire day, I would have to increase the daily earnings by 20.3%. However, as a apology for the inconvenience for those few hours, I decided that everyone should earn 110% revenues during that time the mining server was in error. The corrections have already been applied. Thanks for your understanding.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:23 am

A similar issue occurred in the early morning of January 14. This time, the cause was different - the database server crashed - but once I restarted the database, the mining server did not reconnect, losing about 41 minutes of shares. We already implemented the fix for the previous issue, and now we plan to fix the reconnection issue. At the end of the day, I will be adjusting earnings upwards by the fraction of the day that the server was offline.
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:44 am

I have increased the January 14 balances by 3.2% to account for the 3.0% of the day the server was offline (including a little bonus). Thanks for the continued support.