Server crashed

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Server crashed

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 pm

One of the mining servers locked up earlier today, causing price updates to stop being received by the other mining servers. Chris restarted the server and the system returned to normal.

It is not clear whether any share corrections are needed for this period. Chris will investigate the impact of the problem and calculate whether corrections are necessary. There is no need to submit a support ticket even if you believe that share corrections should be issued, as Chris already has enough information to determine who, if anyone, will need corrections.

We'll also add a new 311th type of error to the monitoring system. While the monitoring system will currently notify Chris if a mining server goes offline, the system currently only checks for whether the servers are running because nobody thought to add a check for a server locking up. I will add a check to also notify Chris if a server is online but stops responding.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thanks for mining with us!
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Server crashed

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:44 am

I wanted to post an update to this topic.

About 1/8 of miners yesterday had been assigned to the mining server that locked up. These miners were disconnected during the problem time. As the documentation states, pool downtime is not a condition under which we reimburse miners, so we will not be able to make any corrections for the 1/8 of miners who were disconnected. We recommend always having a backup pool available for the rare circumstance when a bug causes downtime.

The other 7/8 of miners continued to mine during the period, but because the primary mining server wasn't publishing price data to the database, the system performed as designed and accrued bitcoins as a fallback. Chris posted a poll for these miners asking whether they would like to be credited in the bitcoins that are in the accounts currently, or whether they would like to be credited in the coins the miners wanted to earn in their payout proportions.

If you are part of the 1/8 who were disconnected from the mining server that crashed, if you were part of the 7/8 but stopped mining during that period, if you answer to keep the bitcoins in the poll, or if you do nothing, then your existing balances will be finalized at noon EST today and paid shortly thereafter.

If you were part of the 7/8 who were connected to the servers that functioned in fallback mode, and you continued mining, and you answer that you wish to be paid in coins like your payout proportions, then Chris will run a query to change your balances later this evening, with payouts to occur in the evening or tomorrow morning.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:37 pm

The share corrections are now complete.
gnode

Post by gnode » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:46 pm

Will there be earnings corrections? My earnings for yesterday were 75% normal. I missing 6 hours of earnings and my miners were not on my fail over pool but were mining on Prohashing.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:22 pm

gnode wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:46 pm Will there be earnings corrections? My earnings for yesterday were 75% normal. I missing 6 hours of earnings and my miners were not on my fail over pool but were mining on Prohashing.
The share corrections are now complete for all customers and were credited about an hour ago.
gnode

Post by gnode » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:15 pm

Okay but I didn't get any corrections. I lost 6 hours of earnings.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:58 am

gnode wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:15 pm Okay but I didn't get any corrections. I lost 6 hours of earnings.
We're not aware of any widespread issues, so I think this is best addressed in a support ticket. There, you can provide your username, and I'll assign the ticket to Chris, who can look into it.