Looking for a few testers

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

Re: Looking for a few testers

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Sorry about that. Chris is going to do that now. Check back in about ten minutes and it should be fixed.
Janus67

Post by Janus67 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:25 pm

Steve Sokolowski wrote:Sorry about that. Chris is going to do that now. Check back in about ten minutes and it should be fixed.
No problem, thanks for the quick reply!
Chris Sokolowski
Site Admin

Post by Chris Sokolowski » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 pm

Welcome to the site. I just increased the number on available registrations to 20. You should be able to create an account now. Please let me know if you have any issues.
Janus67

Post by Janus67 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:40 pm

created and currently mining. thanks for your quick assistance. Good luck with the pool!
ikehoff

Post by ikehoff » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 am

Thanks for the invite guys! I have a Black Widow and looking for more :)
Janus67

Post by Janus67 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:55 am

Just a little feedback/a question:

Any particular reason why I am carrying a balance day-to-day? I figured at the end of the day (looks to be midnight EST) I would be getting paid out whatever completed balance I have to my account?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 am

Chris is writing out why this is in the documentation. We try to release as infrequently as possible so that we don't bring the site down now that we're in testing, but when we do release an explanation will be in the help page.

The answer to your question is that this is a pay per share pool (PPS), which means that users earn a set amount of money regardless of how well the pool does. Our earnings will, over the long term, be equal to the pool fee. But on one day, we could make three times the fee, and then the next day, we could lose money. This is different from most pools, which are pay per last N share (PPLNS) - those pools pay out miners what they actually earn, which means that miners take a hit if the pool is unlucky and gain if the pool is lucky. In the end, PPLNS pools have the same earnings for miners as PPS pools do, but miners cannot count on a PPLNS pool to pay out consistently because payouts are due to luck.

In summary:
  • PPS pools (our pool) provide steady payouts to miners and fluctuating payouts to the pool
  • PPLNS pools provide fluctuating payouts to miners and steady payouts to the pool
If everything else (uptime, coin selection, etc) is equal, a PPS pool is better for miners. However, if the pool paid out every day, it will go bankrupt the first day it is unlucky, because miners are paid the usual rate and the pool doesn't make enough money to cover all the payouts. To avoid this problem, payouts are delayed by 24-48 hours. The pool is far less likely to go bankrupt because the probability of the pool having three unbelievably bad days in a row is less than 1 in 10000, according to our calculations. If payouts from two days ago exceed today's earnings, that's no problem, because chances are that tomorrow's earnings will not be as unlucky.

Miners still get paid the full amount, it's just delayed by 1 to 2 days. If you were to stop mining, your money would be paid as normal a few days later. This is what allows a pay-per-share pool to remain in operation if there is a string of bad luck.
bakedshibe

Post by bakedshibe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:52 pm

my friend jimlite wants to help beta test if you guys want. i think he signed up through the pool site.
jimlite

Post by jimlite » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:46 am

Pool profits have not been very good lately, I can suggest two things.
1)Get on new scrypt coins at launch, before they have exchanges, they often are the most profitable even if you have to wait a day for payout (which you do here anyways)
2)Do what Waffle is doing, merge mine DOGE and get it free with all your scrypt mining coins.
Keep up the good work, hopefully profits will rise, you always need to be on the lookout for the best paying coins to mine.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:33 am

Hey Jim,

We're working on the things that you mentioned, and I'll have Chris get back to you on them, but I think that the lower profits are due to increasing difficulty. I'm not sure if you've seen http://poolpicker.eu/table?algo=scrypt, but that's a site that compares profitability of pools.

Unless I'm missing something, we always rank #1 or #2 of their 10 or so pools. We tried to get listed there, but the guy never responded to us. Is there another pool not listed there that is more profitable that we don't know about?