ASICBOOST to be released this evening

News updates about the Prohashing pool
Forum rules
The News forum is only for updates about the Prohashing pool.

Replies to posts in this forum should be related to the news being announced. If you need support on another issue, please post in the forum related to that topic or seek one of the official support options listed in the top right corner of the forums page or on prohashing.com/about.

For the full list of PROHASHING forums rules, please visit https://prohashing.com/help/prohashing- ... rms-forums.
Steve Sokolowski

ASICBOOST to be released this evening

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm pleased to announce that ASICBOOST support will be made available later this evening, after a one-minute mining server restart. Elton Halbrooks has been instrumental in the implementation of ASICBOOST and I want to thank him for allowing us to use his miners for testing.

Enjoy the new feature!
Eyedol-X

Re: ASICBOOST to be released this evening

Post by Eyedol-X » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm

care to venture a guess what this will result in for miners?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Eyedol-X wrote:care to venture a guess what this will result in for miners?
It depends on how the miner implements the technology. With the miners we tested, the improvement is about 20%. There are probably miners that only get a small increase, and unsupported miners won't earn anything.
mike0204

Post by mike0204 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Ok, I will ask the obvious question, where do we find ASICBOOST on the site?
accumulus

Post by accumulus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Seems to be working nicely!! Thanks!
CSZiggy

Post by CSZiggy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 pm

So ASICBOOST only works with SHA-256 algo coins?
alim

Post by alim » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 am

Steve, I've had no response about getting an end user licence - any chance someone could do a "how-to" guide to get it, install it, and anything needed to be specified with Prohashing?
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 am

Yep.

I'm not sure what license you're referring to. No license is necessary to use ASICBOOST miners. If you want to design a hardware miner that uses ASICBOOST, you have to give up all your patents, but that isn't relevant to miners here.
alim

Post by alim » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 pm

So I saw a post about Bitmain S9 miners having the ability for ASIC Boost, but I can find no other references except for the patent site which says you have to apply for a patent and only another manufacturer flogging ASICBoost hardware.

I made an assumption that the S9 would just need a settings switch and was hoping you your testing could verify what that should be. I also assumed that the resale value of the S9 has stayed higher because of this possibility - even if it voids the warranty.

If I'm on the wrong track, just ignore me. If there is a settings/algo tweak, I'd be grateful for the insight.
Steve Sokolowski

Post by Steve Sokolowski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:42 pm

alim wrote:So I saw a post about Bitmain S9 miners having the ability for ASIC Boost, but I can find no other references except for the patent site which says you have to apply for a patent and only another manufacturer flogging ASICBoost hardware.

I made an assumption that the S9 would just need a settings switch and was hoping you your testing could verify what that should be. I also assumed that the resale value of the S9 has stayed higher because of this possibility - even if it voids the warranty.

If I'm on the wrong track, just ignore me. If there is a settings/algo tweak, I'd be grateful for the insight.
Unfortunately, I don't own any S9s, so we can't give any advice about how to enable them.

All that I know is that if ASICBOOST is requested, the mining server will respond and offer it beginning after this release. If you do find out how to make S9s use it, please post here so that other customers can use it too.